Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 14, 2006, 6:00 PM   #1

So, like it says in the title, I've just got a Casio EX-S600 (which is AMAZING) so I can take it with me on holiday. I've got myself a few extras already:
  • Sandisk Ultra II 1GB card[/*]
  • Semi-hard case[/*]
  • Neck strap[/*]
  • Some of that sticky clear plastic sheet to protect the screen[/*]
Anything else you think I'll need for the camera on my trip?

Thanks in advance...
dillinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 6:09 PM   #2

Extra batteries and a backup memory card, maybe an extra charger.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 6:29 PM   #3

Lens cleaning kit.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 7:45 PM   #4

You don't say where you're going (or where you're from) so I don't know if this matters but...

Make sure you have the right adaptors for the charger. You might need either a regular converter to a different shape plug, or you might need to actually convert the volatage. Find out which you need, and get it... more than one!

Definitely get an extra CF card. Guess at how many images you'll take on the vacation per day. Double it. Figure out how many cards it will take to hold that many. Look up how much they would cost... and decide if its better to get them or to buy a portable image holding device like the Epson P-2000 or other similar devices.

Also consider a bag, satchel or something to hold your camera. Depending on the country your going to, you might not want it to actually look like a "camera bag"

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 4:02 PM   #5

Smart, cheers for the advice.

I am going to Egypt (Red Sea). Going to do a bit of diving, but mainly "lounging". Have looked in to getting a waterproof housing, but they are almost as expensive as the camera was in the first place.

I will pike the memory card out of my phone (128mb mmc) as a backup. Can't see me taking more than ~250 shots in a week. I'll probably only take that many, 10% of which might be keepers if I'm lucky, thus only taking a few home.

Have already sourced a mains adaptor for my charger. Good idea about the spare battery, don't want to be waiting for it to charge all the time. Getting a bit close now though, might not arrive in time if I order one online and I'm not paying high street prices.
dillinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 1:15 AM   #6

You'll be surprised how many images you can produce in a week. Your estimate sounds very low to me.

But then again, I can 500 or more in a day if the weather and wildlife is good.

Will you ever go back there again? Do you think you'll get taken in by the "different"-ness of the location? I bet you'll take loads of images.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 8:24 AM   #7
E.T

dillinjer wrote:
Quote:
I will pike the memory card out of my phone (128mb mmc) as a backup. Can't see me taking more than ~250 shots in a week. I'll probably only take that many, 10% of which might be keepers if I'm lucky, thus only taking a few home.
Don't count on that you have time to sort shots there.

It's very easy to take five shots while on it if you thought about taking just one shot... and sorting them is time consuming and camera's small screen is very lousy for judging which photo is good.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 4:47 PM   #8

That looks like a great little camera!

You can probably get the hotel to burn you a disk of images if you need space, but an extra memory card won't hurt...after all, one could fail and they will be MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE at your vacation site.

The one thing you might do is to call your insurance company...your home insurer...to check and see whether it's covered (along with the rest of your kit) by your regular policy. Most companies give you 10% of your homeowner's policy...so if your home were insured for 100k, you would be covered for 10k in losses on the road.

reader is offline   Reply With Quote