Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 16, 2006, 6:48 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm off on a Nile cruise next week and anticipate filling my 1Gb CF card part-way into the holiday. I don't want to carry my laptop or buy additional storage devices. It seems photo shops in Egypt offer an uploading service to CD.

Three questions:

Has anyone any experience of using this service and, if so, any store recommendations at Luxor or Aswan?

Can they deal with RAW or CR2 files?

Will they have a problem with splitting the upload over 2 CD's, given the 700Mb CD limit?

Thanks in anticipation,

Pete

pete5996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 1:04 PM   #2

I would just buy another memory card, and save the headache of running around trying to find some place to transfer the pictures to CD. The transfer services is bound to cost about half of what a new memory card would have cost. I would not chance missing a bunch of pictures for a trip of this magnitude due to a $50 memory card.

If you had to, you could shoot in jpg and get twice as many pictures compared to RAW. That is what I plan to do when traveling. Sure you will loose a little laterality with jpg.

stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 4:40 PM   #3

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. I'd seen, on a travel forum, that it can be done for about £2 per CD in the Kodak/Agfa outlets out there, but on balance I'm with you in all respects.

I've bitten the bullet and just ordered a 2Gb card. The two cards, particularly if Iuse jpeg, should give me more than enough capacitywithout the hassle.

Pete

Old May 21, 2006, 6:16 AM   #4

Guy from work just got back from Egypt. He only shot "snaps" at about 2M pixels on a 64MB card. He got pics transferred to CD for about £6-£7 for 50 shots.

He thought this was reasonable.

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 8:02 AM   #5

re your q about transfering 1 gig to 2 cds, well with experiance i have had the automated maching will only take pics and put onto 1 disk

thats 1 card for 1 cd, so if u have less than 700 meg the rest of the cd is wasted, if u have a full card then 300 meg of pics wont get transferred, thats what i was told in scotland last year, then with my old cam i could only get 128 meg cards in it, but was glad of a service to back em up and give me a empty card again for £2
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 5:01 PM   #6

Hi,

From what Fred and Reanimator have said, it seems the right decision is to take the extra memory. Could work out a lot more expensive, with the risk of lost shots, going the other way. Thanks to all for your responses!

If I get the chance I'll make some enquiries out there and post the result.

Pete