Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 18, 2006, 12:30 AM   #1
WIB

Hi, I need advice about bringing digi cam to deep sea. Can salty air n wind damage electronic circuit inside the camera or othe parts of the camera body. How can i protect my camera and need some advice please. I own a Fuji S5600.

Thanks

Wan
WIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 4:07 AM   #2
E.T

At least if air is humid (danger of condensation) salty air can corrode unprotected metal parts.

So you could get small Silica gel pouches which can be used to keep content of camera bag drier.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 7:07 AM   #3

You should be fine for a couple of trips to the beach. Prolonged contact with salt/sea air can lead to issues as was mentioned. You also need to be careful when cleaning your lens after such trips/exposures as the salt air can be abrasive. Although I'm not a fan of "protective" filters, (ie skylight, 1a, or UV filters) this is a good time to use them. If the protective filter gets damaged you can just chuck it. Some companies make underwater housings by they often cost as much as if not more than the camera itself. You can also check Ebay for plastic baggie type holders. You also need to be aware of condensation when moving from an air conditioned room to outside. A ziploc bag helps here...enclose the camera in a sealed ziploc bag with most of the air squeezed out, and wait 10-15 minutes before removing the camera when you go outside.

Once again if you're on vacation (as long as you don't roll you cam around in the sand) you shluld be fine as long as you're careful. Those who live at the beach do need to take precautions.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 7:22 AM   #4
WIB

Thank you for the replies. Iwiil be off to deep sea fishing this Saturday and i will post some pictures at fuji forum after i returnd from the sea.

Wan
Old May 18, 2006, 8:39 AM   #5

There are under water cameras. More than fourty years ago Ihad a French Calypsopot and later the Nikono which is the same camera made by Nikon which are under water cameras. Sony make under water housing for their P series digital cameras. Next best thing is ziploc.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 9:04 AM   #6

Deep sea fishing... sounds like fun. As for taking your camera, you should be fine, just keep the camera away from any sea spray, but a normal wind, unless laden with spray, should be okay. I would definately get a UV or other protective filter for the camera.

Have fun and get some good photos.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 3:09 PM   #7

I live on salt water. I never go out in my boat (or anyone else's) without a camera. I try to avoid having the camera directly hit by spray, but it has happened. I use copious saliva and a soft cloth to clean the lens before it dries and wipe the camera down. So far no problems and I've been doing it for years.

I don't like having an extra two glass surfaces between my lens and subject so I have never used a UV filter for protection. But I agree with rjseeney that it might be a good idea in the kind of seas that can come up fishing offshore. I usually keep the camera in a case offshore and just don't pull it out if there is a lot of spray.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 8:04 PM   #8
WIB

Thank you guys, I appreciate your help and tomorrow i will be on a fishing boat off to deep sea which will take 4 to 6 hours journey. Once again thank you very much.

Wan
Old May 18, 2006, 10:25 PM   #9

I'm around the beach and salt air all the time,and I believe these conditions will damage cameras.I purchased a Tenba Rain Cover for my Canon 20D and 70-300 lens. I use it all the time. Do a search for: rain covers, storm jackets. Also look at adorama.com That's where I got mine, US$39.95. Thereare other cheaper types that also work just fine. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote