Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 18, 2006, 2:07 PM   #1

OK, I've read a few threads on this topic, but I'm still unsure as to the answer.

I recently bought a Sony DSC H1 (very nice camera by the way). It has a lens/filter adapter that mounts to the camera body and the lens moves in and out of it.

I've been looking at different filters and decided on a polarizing filter, but got a little discouraged on which one to buy. It sounds like a straight polarizer will work for my camera, but I've read that you need a circular one for autofocus cameras. Not that I'm opposed to spending the money on a good filter, but the circular polarizer is twice the price of the other, and if I don't really need, why spend the money.

Also I thought that as you turn a polarizing filter it changed the amount of light it allowed into the camera, and I'm not sure how it does that if you screw it onto the lens adapter.

Thanks for your help!

Sean
MaximAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 4:25 PM   #2

A linear polarizer will work fine. DSLRs with semi-transparent mirrors require circular polarizers, but I don't know of any non-DSLR cameras that require anything but linear. The polarizing effect is the same.

Most polarizers rotate independent of the screw mount – I wouldn't get one that doesn't.

It can be hard to see the polarizing effect on LCDs and EVFs. I find the best accessory for a polarizing filter is to wear polarized sunglasses. Tilt your head until you get the most effect and set the mark on the filter at the same angle. Wal-Marta good selectionfor around $10.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 4:33 PM   #3

slipe...

Thanks for the info. I like the sunglasses idea, but I think I would like to get a filter.

Is there any need for a circular filter other than DSLRs?!

Sean
MaximAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 5:03 PM   #4

Slipe is saying to use the sunglasses to find the best angle for the effect you like. EVF's have less resolution than DSLR viewfinders, so it is diffcult to gauge the effects of the polarizer.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote