Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 20, 2006, 10:07 AM   #11

Actually shot 2 is exactly what you should see. Deeper blue sky and more contrast (to me anyway) between the sky and the clouds. Although it still looks a trifle under exposed - maybe by 1/3 stop. Apply a levels adjustment and it should look better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 12:30 PM   #12

Is Tiffen a decent brand? I have this polarizer: http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...ue&id=6498

For about $30, I could upgrade to a B+W Schneider Optics circular polarizer: http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...ue&id=9612

Would it be worth it to upgrade or would I not notice the difference?
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 12:43 PM   #13

You probably wouldn't notice much difference. The problem seems to be more with the camera compensating for the polarizer.

What camera are you using and are you sure the one you got as a present is circular? The EXIF has been stripped from all of your examples. Many DSLRs have problems with focus and exposure if you use a linear polarizer.

If you have a pair of polarized sunglasses you can make your own marks. With the sunglasses level hold the filter in front of them and rotate it until it is the darkest. Put marks at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. When you shoot those marks should be near vertical most of the time.

You can also wear the polarized sunglasses when you shoot. Tilt your head until you get the best polarization and set the marks at the same angle. That isn't necessary if you have a DSLR with a bright viewfinder.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 12:53 PM   #14

I'm using a Tiffen circular polarizer; I'm sure because it came in the container which is labeled. It's being used in a Canon Rebel XT and kit lens (18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6).

About making the marks on the polarizer...when I'm shooting, you're saying that those marks be at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, correct?
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 1:59 PM   #15

Justin Hancock wrote:
Quote:
About making the marks on the polarizer...when I'm shooting, you're saying that those marks be at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, correct?
I said you will normally shoot with the marks near vertical – that is 12 and 6 o'clock. You had said your filter had no marks and I was just suggesting a way to put them on the filter. Most people start with the mark at 12 o'clock and adjust from there. I find it handy to have marks on the filter.

Many filters that come with marks have only one. I don't think it matters whether that mark is at 12 or 6 o'clock and I put both on if the filter doesn't have one.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote