Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 27, 2003, 9:01 AM   #1

Default Camera with Time stamp incl seconds

Hi, I trying to find a camera (digital) that will imprint a time stamp which includes the seconds. Eg, 17:24:22. I need it for legal work to prove that an object has not moved in under a minute. A sales rep at a camera store said that he knew of a discontinued Konica that used to also imprint a GPS location. Unfortunately this camera only had a res of about 1.2megapixel. I need a camera as above to be at least 3 megapixel.
Any help?
Thanks
Tylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2003, 10:31 AM   #2

You can also simply use any camera and put a standard chronometer next to the object/subject
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 2:23 PM   #3

Most digital cameras don't imprint on the picture, they encode within the picture the date in "Exif" info (just need an Exif reader to view it). Problem is that can be changed. Can't think of one that does encode the date (since most people find it ugly to do so, especially since it's encoded in the picture in Exif). Maybe Steve would know.

These days though, it's easy to fake imprinting the date with any photo software, or even change the date imprinted...nothing is foolproof.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 4:21 PM   #4

Isn't this why they insist on using film in speed cams? There was a case in UK once where a defendant won a case on the grounds that image enhancement (zooming) made decisions which not being of fact rendered the evidence 'inadmissible' Now they're using cams for snapping licence plates and sending the summons automatically, I don't know how things are on the legal side.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:49 PM   #5

most dig cams let you put the date and time on the pics but i have not came across one that shows seconds
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 12:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschewe
most dig cams let you put the date and time on the pics but i have not came across one that shows seconds
HUH? I have yet to come across a digital camera that does that. As I wrote above the date is encoded in the picture in the form of Exif info and that can easily be changed on the computer...but it's not "imprinted" ON the pictures IN the camera.

Many cameras will show the Exif info on the picture when previewing it, but that disappears after a few seconds because it's not imprinted on the picture...it's just temporarily being displayed by the camera.

Could you give examples of cameras that do what you say?
Old Apr 28, 2003, 6:10 PM   #7

I have a kodak dx4900. It prints the date and time on each picture, I have the option of turning this off or on. when it is on it shows as yellow lettering in the bottom right corner
Old Apr 28, 2003, 8:21 PM   #8

Looks like Kodak digitals are one of the *few* cameras that do that...all the other digitals I've own/played with don't do that. Unfortunately no seconds.

Guess the original poster will have to try every camera model in the store to see which imprints seconds.

Also since it's for legal use, maybe the police services association or your legal association have a list of digital cameras that do imprint seconds.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 10:08 PM   #9

i would of thought that the time date thingy would be a standard feature on all cameras. I use it but you could always add your own custom date easily and one could always erase it also
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:41 AM   #10

Kodak's DX3500 imprints the date too. But I don't think seconds. I'll look tonight.
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote