Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 23, 2006, 3:22 PM   #1

I will be getting the 350D and Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens soon.

Lens and camera weigh combined at about 2 pounds minus the battery.

The tripod supports up to 11 pounds and has the 3029 head. Should this be stable enough outdoors?
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 6:06 AM   #2

Nelmr,

It will probably be sturdy enough for that setup in good conditons - i.e. without strong winds. But that's a fairly flimsy set of legs - not junk by any stretch but better suited for indoor types of work that won't stress the setup. If you can, you should try to step up to the 3021 or even 3011 legs. It's not that big of a price jump and it will save you the trouble of replacing the 3001 legs if you get weightier lenses in the future.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 7:36 AM   #3

John,

I already heave the tripod and head. I bought it used (seems to be an older version compared to the current 3001). I paid about $50 USD for both. What is the street price on the 3021 and 3011?

My old camera was a S5100. It weighed about the same as the 350D body only. It seemed sturdy enough to use outdoors with that camera. But now I have a set up that weighs twice as much. As you mention, if I get bigger lens and/or battery grip (that is in the future) I'll probably need a sturdier tripod.

I really like the 681B monopod (which I own). What is the equivlent set of tripod legs that match the "stableness" of the leg of the 681B?
Old May 24, 2006, 7:50 AM   #4

Nelmr,

$50 isn't that bad of an investment.

The 3011 legs are around $110 while the 3021 legs are $150. According to the specs, both sets are rated at 13.2 lbs. Doesn't sound like much of an increase does it? I can't say why the 3021 legs seemed so much better than the 3001 (the store I looked at when I bought had these two but not the 3011).

I have the 679 monopod not the 681 so I can't comment on what the comparable legs are. There are several sets of aluminum legs above the 3021 but IMO weight becomes a factor there and you want to start looking at magfiber or carbon fiber if you want a heavy duty tripod.

Since you already have the tripod/head and only spent $50 I wouldn't worry too much about it. Use it for a while and figure out what features will be important for you if you do need to upgrade in the future. If you get into macro work you may need a set of legs capable of using a horizontal column for instance or you may find out you don't like the locking mechanism on the 3001 (or do like it). I wouldn't worry about upgrading until you need to - and by then you'll have a better idea of what attributes the new legs need to have.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice.