Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 24, 2006, 3:41 PM   #1

I recently downloaded a trial version of Premier 2 because I heard the slideshow feature was very good. I, however, find the learning curve very steep.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to Premier that allows for transiitions, etc and also one that would have an audio feature that is alterable.

Thanks

John
creditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 6:21 PM   #2

I recently put together a slide show of my recent vacation using Pictures2Exe, available here" http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/

The things that drew me to it were:

1.I didn't have to size my images to the output screen -- the app will do that at run-time, down-resing to fit the actual screen instead of requiring me to set a size that would always be used on every monitor; and

2. It didn't require me to output an MPEG4 or similar crummy TV format slide show.

The program supports various transitions and allows you to easily synch the slides to the sound track. You can also use a different sound track on each slide, or augment the sound for a particular slide, but I didn't try those features -- I prefer to use SoundForge to record and mix my sound track, and just use the app for the synchronization.

There is a new version in beta that supports panning, scrolling, and zooming (Ken Burns effects). However, this support requires specific high-end graphics cards, so they suggest that you create a DVD if you're going to distribute a slide show using these effects. That kind of defeats the purpose for my use.

I was reasonably satisfied witht he app. I originally ran it from a CD, but you really ahve to have your users copy the executable to the hard disk. Even reasonably fast CD drives don't keep up if you have 5Mpixel JPEGs. Also, when run from a CD, the controls are VERY sluggish. If you press the FORWARD key a couple of times, it will eventually do both keystrokes. Rather clunky. When run from the hard disk, less of the bandwidth is taken up reading the images in and the response times are tolerable.

All in all, I was satisfied with this $25 or so app.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:36 PM   #3

I struggled earlier this year trying to put together an end-of-the season picture slide

show for my daughter's High School Volleyball team. I was using a couple of low

end freebies and found that while they were super easy to put together and had

great special effects, transitions, built in title backdrops etc., for the life of me I could

not get them to burn to cd. I ended up buying Premier 2 during the last 4 days

before the banquet and using a book bought at Borders, was able to navigate my

way through a fairly successful attempt. ( I am not a computer/program geek!! It

takes me time to become effecient with a program) It was not perfect, but given the time

restraints. I settled for better than nothing.One of mystruggles was the end result

output. Because I opted to burn a cd for use in a dvd, it seems my picture quality

was not the best. I'm sure with practice and time (using my book) I'll find the

solution though.Don't give up on the program, if I can buy it, use it and produce 15

copies in 4 days..I'm sure just about anyone could. There are some great features

to the program...

Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 1:15 AM   #4

I use Ulead Photo Explorer for this. It's very simple, yet has all the features others have mentioned. Basically just a drag and drop operation. I first tried Nero, as it was highly recommended, but found the process way too complicated, and gave up when I found that when I tried to back up a step to make some changes, I lost everything,

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 6:16 AM   #5

I currently use Digital Photo Slideshow, which has lots of transitions, you can add music, and is only $19.95 (last time I looked). Not lots of other bells and whistles, but you can get a trial version for free, so it's worth checking out.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 6:50 AM   #6

http://www.photodex.com/

Very nice software....see very simple example here...takes 5 minutes to load.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...2356&alb=0

There are hundreds of transitions etc with the ability to add music.
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 9:32 AM   #7

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
I use Ulead Photo Explorer for this. It's very simple, yet has all the features others have mentioned. Basically just a drag and drop operation. I first tried Nero, as it was highly recommended, but found the process way too complicated, and gave up when I found that when I tried to back up a step to make some changes, I lost everything,

brian
Actually, Ulead was the first thing that I considered. I used their nonlinear editing package for years and really liked it. However, it is NOT true that it does what that stupid $25 Pictures2Exe does -- it only outputs DVDs (or at least DVD-sized image data -- 768x576?) as far as I could detemine from their web site. Ouputting the slide at 1200x1024 or 1600x1200 or ... using the original image data (which is, of course, larger than any of these) was one of my hard requirements. This is just not supported by most of these packages. They may up-res a previously down-res'ed image to fill the screen, but they don't make optimal use of the actual image.

The crappy quality of DVDs alluded to by someone else above is exactly what was motivating me in my choice, and I didn't see many alternatives to the Pictures2Exe in this regard. It is far from perfect. But it met my primary requirement, which Ulead did not.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 12:24 AM   #8

tclune wrote:
Quote:
Actually, Ulead was the first thing that I considered. I used their nonlinear editing package for years and really liked it. However, it is NOT true that it does what that stupid $25 Pictures2Exe does -- it only outputs DVDs (or at least DVD-sized image data -- 768x576?) as far as I could detemine from their web site. Ouputting the slide at 1200x1024 or 1600x1200 or ... using the original image data (which is, of course, larger than any of these) was one of my hard requirements.
Curious- my first use of it was to create a slideshow of 1280x960 shots I had done at the finish line of a half-marathon. Ulead will fit to screen whether larger or smaller. Haven't yet tried any full-size pics for slideshows, but don't anticipate any problems.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:31 AM   #9

I use Pinnacle studio 8. It has close to 100 transitions and I can put it on a DVD or make a vcd or svcd with it. I love it, 4.5 stars out of 5.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote