Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2003, 7:16 PM   #11

Yes I know there is 2 different types of compact flash. I was generalizing about cf. I believe it is the way to go, since it is accepted in many other devices also. It is nice to have a few standards, it makes you wonder why sony and fuji have to be different
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschewe
Yes I know there is 2 different types of compact flash. I was generalizing about cf. I believe it is the way to go, since it is accepted in many other devices also. It is nice to have a few standards, it makes you wonder why sony and fuji have to be different
The problem with CF cards is even though they are a compact version of the original PCMCIA memory card they are still HUGE. Devices are getting smaller, and that requires smaller format cards like MMC/SD, and the Sony Memory Stick Duo shown at the bottom of http://www.threegmobile.net/gallery/...onp800/q17.jpg

Digital cameras (although a rapidly growing market) is still a small portion of those who use digital memory cards...there's the PDA market (Palm/PPC/etc.), MP3 players, and smartphones which also use memory cards...and as these devices get smaller, smaller size memory cards are needed like the MMC/SD and the Memory Stick Duo (used in smartphones like the Sony-Ericsson P800).

Of course with smaller memory cards you can have smaller cameras like the Sony mini-camera:
http://www.digitalcamera.gr.jp/html/...27/sony1-L.jpg
http://www.digitalcamera.gr.jp/html/...27/sony2-L.jpg

It's no use complaining about the different formats of cards out there, just like you'd never complain about the different types of film out there...if you were a 35mm user, did you care about 110, 120, 126, disc, medium format, large format, etc.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 9:17 PM   #13

Just a remark about standards.

Often when bringing a cutting edge product or product line to market that is dependent upon an emerging technology, you can't afford to wait around until a 'standard' emerges (at least that's what the marketing guys tell me). It often takes years for a candidate standard to become stable and be fully vetted by the industry or standards making body. Therefore some companies will take the gamble that their technology will become the de facto standard if it is introduced to the market first and grabs major market share early enough. Sometimes this gamble pays off, sometimes not.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz
...It often takes years for a candidate standard to become stable and be fully vetted by the industry or standards making body. ....
In computer stuff a standard has been fully defined about when it is obsolete. I think much the same thing is happening in digicams.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote