Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 29, 2003, 2:18 PM   #1

Default DIGCAM memory

I am confused on whether to keep the Sony DSC-P51($170). I hate to buy a SONY because of their Memory stick technology whereas other memory cards are interchangeable betwwen brands. Should this be reason enough to return it and get one that uses Smart media. I already got burnt withe the betamax, the minidisc
miyagisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2003, 2:54 PM   #2

How often will you buy memory? New cam models are coming out all the time and each will demand bigger memory for more Mpix. There is still no single dominant memory type yet and incompatibility issues exist between some cams and CompactFlash, whilst newer emerging media claimed to become available in much bigger capacities, is not yet proven in today's cameras.

The real issue is whether you like the camera and the pictures it takes. Checkout the Sony section here for user experience. You didn't include batteries in your question - same issue there!

Since memory is re-useable, buy sufficient for your present and future needs in the largest size you can afford and just enjoy photography. One problem you don't have, is whilst you are locked into Sony proprietary memory - at least you know it is likely to work in your camera!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 3:45 PM   #3

Actually, SmartMedia (SM) is at the end of its life...the higest capacity SM can have is 128megs, and with newer cameras having more megapixels higher capacity storage cards were needed, so the camera companies that used smartmedia (Olympus, Fuji) developed Xd cards which have a theoretical limit of 8gig (8000megs)...note that Xd is a new format and not compatable with SM (although there were a few cameras that had both Xd and SM slots until Xd became widely available).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 3:53 PM   #4

what i was most worried about is that if my Sony, with all the new memory that i bought , goes kaputz. I will be stuck to buying another Sony product to make use of the memory. And aren't there other gadgets out there that use memory media?
Old Apr 29, 2003, 4:01 PM   #5

If you were into Mp3 music, you could look at Microdrive or BIG Compact flash. But the megabucks for either make the price you paid for your Sony a bit teeny! Still at least you have possibility for sharing as long as you watch the formats. There will always be something new out around the corner.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 4:11 PM   #6

Many camera makers stick to one format...as I said for Olympus and Fuji it's Xd (was SM, although you can find multiple slots on higher end cameras (over $1000) which also take CF and the mini-harddrive). Some brands use MMC/SD cards.

Konica is another brand that uses memory stick (as well as MMC/SD).

A particular type of memory card can be made obsolete at any time...I bought my SM camera just last year.

Personally though, the memory card a camera uses is pretty low on my list...a more important concern (besides the camera's optics and how good it takes a picture) is the battery type...I dislike proprietary batteries, much prefer cameras which use AAs (much cheaper to replace if they go bad, and to have multiple sets, plus I can get a set of alkalines in any store in an emergency).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:57 PM   #7

I think compact flash is the way to go for now since it has the best price to megabyte ratio. It is up to 4gigs now!
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:13 AM   #8

OK. I will keep the camera since it was relatively cheap, $165, and it's true there's always new tech around the corner. Thanks for the input
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:43 AM   #9

Quote:
I think compact flash is the way to go for now since it has the best price to megabyte ratio. It is up to 4gigs now!
Yes, but that doesn't mean every CF camera will address it, unless it says so in the camera spec. Statements of compatibility with media type, does not always guarantee a cam will still work with emerging big memory.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 9:05 AM   #10

voxmagna is correct in that current cf model digicams support and then only some models support due to filetype FAT16 up to 2GB after that only cameras supporting FAT32 will be able to access beyond that.

now on some models again that could be just a firmware update away or maybe not.

a good example of poor foward thinking in a propriatary media type is the memorystick. if you want to move up in file size maximum with a say 707 you buy a 717 to use their memstick pro. i can't believe sony thought 128 and 256MB were considered reasonable in capacity.

this is where CF formfactor is the winner. it is an open standard and the defacto standard of 80%+ of ith marketplace.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote