Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 31, 2006, 10:15 AM   #1

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light for me about the max shutter speed/exposure times of the fujifilm S9500. I have read conflicting reports, some of which say that the max. shutter time is 30 secs, whilst other say that longer exposures are available with the bulb setting. Can anyone tell me tha max shutter/bulb time? Is the max shutter speed 30secs while the bulb setting allows for +30sec (i.e. 60 sec or 120sec) exposures or is the max bulb exposure setting 30 secs.

Hope I am making sense.

Aaron
templewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2
E.T

Slowest shutter speed for both bulb and manual is 30 seconds.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/

Longer exposures than that are propably only available in dSLRs.
(but then I don't know so many uses for such shutter times)

You're apparently searching for a camera?
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:32 PM   #3

Cheers for the reply ET. Yeah I have been looking at the 9500 mainly as im getting married and me and themissus-to-be have decided to get a new camera. My main area of interest is astrophotography hance the shutter speed question. Ideally I would go for a DSLR like the canon 350D but alas funds do not allow it and Paulie (the missus to be) wants to be able to use the camera as well.

This is where im getting the confusion from

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ix_s9500_6.php

They state "The Fujifilm Finepix S9500 zoom maximum shutter speed is 30 seconds, plus there's a Bulb setting for even longer exposures, which is great news if you're seriously interested in night photography.

As well as "The maximum aperture is f2.8 (wide) – f4.9 (tele), and the shutter speed range is 30 secs. – 1/4000 sec. A Bulb[/b] setting[/b] for longer exposures is also offered in the manual exposure mode."

I have also seen a couple of threads on other forums (dam if I can find them now) where someone couldnt find the bulb setting, when they did they could get exposures for longer than 30secs.

Who the bloody hell do I believe :??

Aaron
templewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:14 AM   #4

You can use the bulb setting for up to 30 seconds. The S9000/9500 has a "multiple exposure" mode that allows you to take many exposures without "advancing" the frame. Don't know whether this would work for astrophotography unless you had your camera on a motor drive to track the celestial objects.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 3:47 AM   #5
E.T

For astrophotography dSLR would be definitely magnitudes better, already non-watercolored high ISOs are much ahead.
Also do you have telescope?
Cameras with big input pupil don't work well with telescopes.

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
You can use the bulb setting for up to 30 seconds.* The S9000/9500 has a "multiple exposure" mode that allows you to take many exposures without "advancing" the frame.* Don't know whether this would work for astrophotography unless you had your camera on a motor drive to track the celestial objects.
I can guarantee it wouldn't work, at wide angle stars wouldn't move too much in 30s but in tele end even 15s would produce movement.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 4:08 PM   #6

30 seconds is the maximum in manual mode on my s9500

i read somewhere that it is due to the smaller sensor getting hot and possibly damaged compared to a dslr which has larger sensors
bl0at3r is offline   Reply With Quote