Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 31, 2006, 5:39 PM   #1

i have a canon ae-1 my son plays tee-ball and i want to get shots of him where you can see his face reaction while swinging and when hes on the feild i want to be able to get shots like im standing 3 foot in front of him. im new to this so help!!!! what zoom lense do i need, also do i need a 2x doubler.i have a 55mm lense on it now:?
mreed38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 5:58 PM   #2

In order to be able to answer your question, it would be necessary to know how far you expect to be from your subject and what the lighting conditions will be. It would also help to know what your budget for a new lens is.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 6:05 PM   #3

im usually about 10 to 15 yards away and most of the time its sunny,as far as budget no more than 150.00 i can find everything used for pretty could prices
Old May 31, 2006, 6:11 PM   #4

im getting a lens but i dont know how good it is heres the specs on it. 1:3.8 1:4/210 80-210mm tamron lens with macro it also has 58mm skylight filter. is this someting i could use for what im trying to capture
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:01 PM   #5

The lens should work if both of these conditions are met:

* The Tamron lens has a Canon FD mount rather than the newer EF mount that the Canon EOS series bodies (including the digital models) take.

* The lens has enough resolution and contrast at the telephoto end to give you a decent image.

This lens in its full telephoto position of 210 mm will give you the same field of view of your subject at 15 yards from the subject, that your 58 mm lens gives at about 4 yards. You will be able to get your son or daughter at full length, including the bat, which is about right for the distance at which you will be working.

If you aren't in a hurry, you might also consider waiting for a fairly inexpensive 300 mm zoom to come onto the market. Although the performance of enthusiast grade telephoto zooms tends to fall apart at the extremes, they can produce fairly decent images if they aren't pushed to their limits.

You should also be mindful that the increased magnification of a telephoto lens also increases the blurring effect of camera shake in proportion. This shouldn't be a problem if you remember to keep your shutter speed above 1/250 second or so and are careful to hold your camera steady. You probably wouldn't want to use a tripod under these conditions, but pro sports photographers often use monopods to help keep their cameras steady.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote