Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2003, 1:00 AM   #1

Default Media Reader problem

I just got a Belkin 8-1 media reader & writer, I got it working ok in WinXP but when I shut down windows & then reboot it can't find the drive. I played around with it a little unistall the drivers all to no avail then I tried to simply plug it back in & it works ok, but when I shut down & reboot it can't find it again UNTIL I unplug the reader & plug it back in again then all is ok. Can't you leave these readers pluged in all the time????
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:10 AM   #2

I've not got mine with me at the mo. But seem to remember it depends on whether a card is in the slot or not when re-booting.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 2:49 PM   #3

I got it working, well most of the time, anyways. I had a icon for the removeable media on the desktop, & it seems not to like me having it there, as everytime I rebooted it didn't recognize the reader, but I just did another test & put the icon back on the desktop & then shutdown & rebooted & it worked ok, then I did another shutdown & reboot & it didn't recognize the reader. I then took the icon off again & it didn't see the reader, & then after shutdown & reboot it did see the reader. Is this a problem for all USB 1.1 readers or just this model. It works most of the times after the reboot. weird ehhhhh???? So times ya feel like a nut & sometimes ya don't.
Is this just a USB thing????
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 3:38 PM   #4

Must be an XP thing. Don't get these probs with Win2K/98SE.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 4:07 PM   #5

Make sure you got the latest drivers, and visit the site from time to time to see if a newer driver has been released.

Even when you buy something new, you should visit the manufacturer's site to get the latest driver.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:01 PM   #6
lg

I've had this problem with Win2K and a 6-in-1 card reader. By right clicking on one of the drives from the card reader and selecting Properties, it would find the pictures on the disk (my error was that I should insert a card into the drive, even though the card with pictures on it was already inserted). You might want to give that a try.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 12:41 PM   #7

Here is a suggestion...

Just leave the reader USB plug in your computer.

That is what I do.

Never a problem with my 6-1 reader
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote