Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 31, 2006, 8:52 PM   #1

Where can I post equipment for sale online? Not ebay but just post things for sale where photographers can see it? I would appreciate any direction anyone could offer. Thanks

Kyle
khlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 10:54 PM   #2

I can't quote chapter and verse on this, but search for online users-groups of the brand of equipment that you have to sell. They usually have forums for people to discuss certain types of cameras or photography and frequently they have a section for posting equipment for trade or sale. A lot of these sites are part of a web ring, so, if the site you are on doesn't offer what you're looking for, you can check out other related sites on that web ring.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 11:39 PM   #3
rey

Try Craigslist. I've posted camera stuff there before, including lens and people actually responded. It depends on where you live and how big CL is in the area.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:37 AM   #4

www.keh.com

It's a well-regarded site for buying/selling used gear.

Also Fredmiranda.com has a forum for posting buy/sell posts.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:39 AM   #5
Administrator

khlash wrote:
Quote:
Where can I post equipment for sale online? Not ebay but just post things for sale where photographers can see it? I would appreciate any direction anyone could offer. Thanks
Not here (and I removed your post with equipment for sale).

We don't allow for sale posts. This rule is in the confirmation e-mail that members receive and agree to when joining the forums.

A number of forums do not allow members to place wanted/for sale posts. So, be careful when posting information about equipment for sale on forums without checking the rules. If in doubt, check with a moderator or admin with the forums you want to post in.

Bending the rules is also frowned upon, since these posts are often thinly veiled attempts to break the rules.

For example, I'd consider a post worded like this to be breaking the rules, since it's calling attention to equipment for sale, which invites offers by others:

"Where is a good place to sell my Acme model 3000?"

Ditto for a post like this one. I'd consider it a thinly veiled attempt to break the rules (since it's calling attention to equipment for sale):

"What is a fair price for me to ask for my Acme Model 4000 Lens with Caps and Hood in great condition. I'm going to sell it and look at alternatives."

It's hard enough keeping the spammers out as it is. Also, it's too difficult to police. We'd have scammers posting, companies pretending to be individuals, etc. We don't want the forums to turn into a big online flea market for buying and selling equipment.

Ebay is your best bet.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:31 PM   #6

Thanks. Sorry about that.

Kyle
khlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:37 PM   #7
Administrator

No problem. Trust me, you're not the first person that didn't pay much attention to the confirmation e-mail. :-)

It happens pretty often and we normally just send a PM about it. In this case, the thread content made it easier to clarify our rules here.

Check around in some of the other forums. Most don't allow for sale messages. But, some do (as long as you stick to the forums designed for that purpose).

But, your best bet is likely Ebay.If you put up a nice listing, you may be able to get more than expected. You can also check prices for completed listings on Ebay to see what similar equpment sold for.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote