Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 3, 2003, 11:57 AM   #11
lg

Well, while it may be true what Mike_PEAT said about many Oly users using third party pano software, I have only used the Camedia software for stitching together panoramas. I have gotten very good results using this method.

In addition to the blue frames that come up in the viewfinder to assist you in the alignment of the frames, when in Pano mode it also locks the exposure on the first frame taken to ensure consistent exposure throughout the panorama. This is good information to have so that you can start your pano on the frame with the most difficult exposure settings to ensure you get the desired effect... you can always touch it up later in post processing.

I might mention that the panos come out great as long as you limit your angle of view to the equivalent of a 28-30mm lens. Beyond that, parallax distortion comes into play and the limited software has no means to correct for that. It works great with the WCON-08E, but I have had little or no success with a Kenko .5x converter.

Perhaps I don't do as many panos as other Oly users -- what do the rest of you guys think?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 6:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
I might mention that the panos come out great as long as you limit your angle of view to the equivalent of a 28-30mm lens. Beyond that, parallax distortion comes into play and the limited software has no means to correct for that. ....
I don't understand how the field of view (of final pano?) has anything to do with parallax issues.

Although it is getting out of date, panoguide (http://www.panoguide.com/) is still a good starting point for anyone trying to figure out how to shoot panoramas.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 10:33 PM   #13
lg

Perhaps my terminology was wrong, BillDrew. What I meant was that panorama frames taken with a .5x converter couldn't be matched up with the Camedia software because of the distortion on either side of each frame.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 7:23 AM   #14

A bad lens can mess up any photo, stitched or not.

There is a fair chance that you can adjust out the (likely) barrel distortion with Panorama Tools. Philo has a good tutorial at http://www.philohome.com/barrelpers/barrelpers.htm
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote