Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 1, 2003, 1:13 PM   #1
KL

Default e-mailing pictures

Just bought a canon G3 and I have tried e-mailing (as attachments) pictures to people. With some it works to send them as JPG files but one person tells me the file comes across as a zip file. Why would this be happening? Is it something I am doing wrong? Should I send the file as a different type? Or is it something with their e-mail program? Since it only happens with this one person I am wondering if it is something in their e-mail program? They are using AOL for e-mail. I am using netzero. Is there another type of file I could use? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2003, 1:22 PM   #2

KL

AOL has been know to zip up multiple files when they are attachments to an email.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 1:49 PM   #3

Sometimes the email program does it. The one I use at work does it sometimes unless I step in to prevent it.

It's designed to prevent people sending big files and clogging the system especially at Xmas when everyone starts sending Father Christmas and Snowman pics to each other.

I think it's a local plug-in for Outlook.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 2:42 PM   #4
KL

So what does he do to prevent them from being a zip file? Is there an option in AOL to change a setting? I sent 3 pictures, if I send one at a time does it still zip them? Can he open the pictures as a zip and view them is there a conversion program?

Thanks
KL
Old May 1, 2003, 4:05 PM   #5

Winzip's been around for yonks as trialware, you'll find plenty of download sites - do a search. Likely as not, AOL will host Winzip as a download if the're zipping your files. I'm guessing, but perhaps they're doing this to create a Virus free zone on their servers!

Winzip as a compression utility is pretty useless for photos and MP3's, the files are already compressed as JPEGS anyway. I wonder what happens when you rename a .JPG as a .zip and rename at the other end?

Try a decent free email client like Pegasus Mail, take control whilst reducing 'MS Outlook' virus attacks!!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 4:25 PM   #6
KL

So why would he receive pictures from others that are JPG files? I'm just having a really hard time understanding this......

If he downloads a winzip program does this open pictures? What is the quality like? Can he rename the file to be a jpg and open it that way?

Again thanks for any input anyone has.

KL
Old May 1, 2003, 8:05 PM   #7

Zipping files is a good idea since they will compress a bit. Here is an example.

Original image (tiff) 3856x1388 pixels (yes a pano)
28.9 Megs

Converted to jpeg high compression, value 2, for web sites or email using Photoshop
180 KB

Zipped using WinZip 8.1 highest compression

Tiff 28.9 Megs to 18.9 Megs
Jpeg 180 KB to 156kb

So you see even zipping a jpeg helps sometimes but other times the savings is not significant. Zipping is useful when u have tons of pics, you can send them as one file instead of uploading many little ones

when your friend downloads the pics all he has to do is click on them and winzip will open the file, drag it to your desktop or save it in a folder, then u can view the file. When you do it once you will see how easy it is to use
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote