Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:44 PM   #1

i have a canon ae1 35mm. if i scan my photos to my computer am i losing any pixles or anything from the colors etc.... or is it the same look on my pc as holding the actual pic in my hand?plus i was told a lens i have " tou/fivestar auto macro zoom 1:45 75-200 " was not going to be a good lens for close up shots at baseball.is this true and if so what zoom lens would be ideal for me.and one last thing can i shoot rapid shots with the canon ae1? i just cant afford digital right now $600-1300 wow not right now
mreed38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:39 PM   #2

The AE-1 is a classic! The first 35mm slr to be totally controlled by a computer chip! However, you can't "shoot rapid shots" without having either the winder A or A2 or the motor drive accessories.

mreed38 writes: "...if i scan my photos to my computer am i losing any pixles or anything from the colors etc.... or is it the same look on my pc as holding the actual pic in my hand?"

The scan quality will depend on many factors including the capabilities of your scanner, how adept you are at using it to its full potential and how well versed you are in tweaking the resulting scan in an editing program. If your scanner can do negetives, this has the highest potential for getting the best quality image, but it's harder to do it right than with a print scan. You can get great results from scanning slides on a decent scanner...

mreed38 also writes: "plus i was told a lens i have " tou/fivestar auto macro zoom 1:45 75-200 " was not going to be a good lens for close up shots at baseball.is this true and if so what zoom lens would be ideal for me"

I remember seeing that particular answer, and I believe that the advice was that you needed to either get a lot closer to the action than the stands or get a longer focal length lens.
Which one is ideal? That's almost a philosophical question. Start by asking yourself how much you are willing to pop for a longer, faster lens and check out keh.com. They sell mostly used camera stuff and have a big selection of older, manual focus lenses that will work with the AE-1. Getting a fast (larger maximum aperture) lens is good because it will let you shoot at faster shutter speeds. Unfortunately, fast lenses have fast prices, too. It's amazing the price jump that one stop can make, say from an f/3.5 to an f/2.8.

Anyway, if you see a few things that you like, check out ebay, too. You can get some good deals!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:55 AM   #3

Why are you scanning the pictures. If it is to make enlargements bare in mind that prints have a fairly low resolution so creating a bigger print will be limited by the size and quality of the original print. Scanning from slide or negative on a good quality scanner is better for printing enlargements.

If it's for backup or for e-mailing then with care you can create a good copy.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote