Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:46 AM   #1

I'm into market for a laptop.

It's going to be a DESKTOP replacement and a main computer for all my needs. As that my requrements are:

- the main thing is absolutely no-compromise on a display, pref.17'' xwga. (should be customizable with screen calibration devices- is it true for any display?)

- 2 Gb ram

- big storage capacity 120-180 Gb

-Powerful Core processor - for quick Photoshopping (is it Intel Core Duo now?)

.- the weight is not important

ect

I'm looking into few brands, mainly Dell (inspiron)and HP (pavillion DV8000) mainly becouse they are customizable regarding all the components, and I was leanint towards HP becouse I can chooseup to 240Gb hard drive!! vs up 120 Gb @ DELL, but read in CNET rewiew , and they were not so satisfied with a display.

Can you confirm that?

I know on the other hand that DELL can make absolutly fabulous displays...the question is are they in their notebooks?

The third player that comes to mind- Toshiba Quasimo G 35, but it's twice as expensive...

Adesktop system is absolutely ouf of consideration...

Thank you for reading this post.

driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:04 AM   #2

Try: http://www.alienware.com/product_pag...l_default.aspx
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:48 AM   #3

Aren't Alienware system is primarily gamer -oriented? I don't need a cutting edge video card...

PS ... and overpriced, as I've seen after comparing to other brands with similar/better bundle.:roll:
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:36 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Go for the Dell Inspiron 9400 with the 1920x1200 display and 256Mb graphics card.

I have that screen on a 9300 and it's fantastic, the best I've seen on a laptop.

Also make sure you specify a 7200 rpm HDD, even if it's lower capacity, you'll want the speed for photoshop.

Min 1Gb RAM, preferably 2.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:51 AM   #5
E.T

driliagor wrote:
Quote:
- the main thing is absolutely no-compromise on a display, pref.*17'' xwga.
"No-compromise" and XWGA are mutually exclusive, you need much better than that antique resolution if you intend to fit also something else into screen than toolbars of Photoshop.

Also brand doesn't mean everything when it comes to quality of display. Displays vary between models and there's very big variation in TFTs...
Colours should be accurate, then black should be black instead of grayish, also it should be capable to resolving dark and bright shades instead of dark parts of image going into black-grey mass or bright shades getting "burned" to white. Also those media sexy fast response times actually make it harder to get good colour accuracy.

In any case you should definitely test display well before buying that specific laptop unless it has been checked well in more thorough review... for example some of those big contrast ratios are achieved only by super bright white because black of that display is jsut too bright.

If it's just for replacing desktop with one which can be put to cabin when you don't need it you might want to check Acer Aspire 9800 which is meant entirely as dekstop replacement. (weights ~8kg/17lbs)
That 20.1" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) screen should be very nice if it just is good in other aspects.

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Go for the Dell Inspiron 9400 with the 1920x1200 display
While resolution might sound nice you have to remember that pixel size will be extremely small because screen size is very small for such resolution. (17" WUXGA) So that screen is for use with small viewing distance... or with magnifying glass.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:01 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
While resolution might sound nice you have to remember that pixel size will be extremely small because screen size is very small for such resolution. (17" WUXGA) So that screen is for use with small viewing distance... or with magnifying glass.
I'm not recommending it because of the resolution, but because that model can come with 2 screens. The good one happens to be 1920x1200.

It's a very very nice screen.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:26 AM   #7

Dell make pretty good machines, but I have also seen the quality decline over the years. However, I doubt you will go wrong with a Dell.

I have had very bad experience with HP's, so I cannot recomend them at all.

You might also want to look at the Sony and Fujitsu offerings. Their units tend to be much more AV orientated than others.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:21 AM   #8

Something to keep in mind with laptops is that when the monitor moves up or down or you sit ina different position, the brightness changes. I bought my wife a nice Dell and the screen looks very nice but it has the Brightview or Clearview or whatever Dell calls it on it. This makes everything look nicer but it is also prone to throwing off the calibration.

As for calibration, this monitor calibrated just fine with a Spyder 2.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:06 PM   #9

Is Inspiron 9400 is the same as E1705?

I was able to find the formar one only in DELL outlet...

Isn't that a problem not being able to use a NUMPAD?

Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:47 PM   #10

I have an HP laptop as my main computer. I bought a light one and the monitor is mediocre. However, I have it hooked up to a 19" monitor at home that is much better. I can suffer with the laptop's monitor when I'm traveling.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote