Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 2, 2003, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Canon A70 and AF Illuminator

1st question. Is this a good camera for taking excellent pics. I'm getting mixed reviews.

2nd quesion. is an AF illuminator necessary to have. It is something I thought I wanted and is keeping me from looking at good cams. I figured if the cams are still good w/o the AF, maybe I don't need it.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2003, 1:04 PM   #2

Default Re: Canon A70 and AF Illuminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey
1st question. Is this a good camera for taking excellent pics. I'm getting mixed reviews.
It does its job. It has had good reviews and bad reviews.

Quote:
2nd quesion. is an AF illuminator necessary to have. It is something I thought I wanted and is keeping me from looking at good cams. I figured if the cams are still good w/o the AF, maybe I don't need it.
Now the AF assist lamp is for low-light conditions. I think most people here were saying that it is good for a camera to have this feature. I haven't really used mine on my a60 cause I've been mainly taking landscape photos.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 1:53 PM   #3
SSD

I have purchased several digital cameras over the last few weeks including the A70. I also have a Nikon 3100. The A70 does focus quicker and better in low light over the 3100, but they are still both great cameras. I take a lot of low light shots and the a70 has given better and faster focus under these conditions. The 3100 is a sweet little camera though, and I am going to give it to my son since he has a strong interest in photography.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 4:16 PM   #4

Here's how AF works, and why an AF assist beam is a nice thing to have for low-light situations:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote