Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:01 PM   #1

Hi all...I would like to know how do you all define yourselves as photographers Beginner, Intermediate, Advance, Pro. What things do you need to know to become a Intermediate or Advance? If you know lighting does that make you a more advance or intermediate. Etc... I know a Pro is when you get paid/your job.

What you think?

Guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:39 PM   #2
DBB

Guile wrote:
Quote:
Hi all...I would like to know how do you all define yourselves as photographers Beginner, Intermediate, Advance, Pro. What things do you need to know to become a Intermediate or Advance? If you know lighting does that make you a more advance or intermediate. Etc... I know a Pro is when you get paid/your job.

What you think?
I'm the worst photographer in New York. This is a difficult accomplisment, which I am very proud of. I am also a professional photographer whose job is to give the profession a bad name. Another challenge. But I am up to it!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:58 PM   #3

DBB,

How about sharing some of the Great photos you have made. Some photos of the buildings would be nice. Just when you can spare a minute. I know you are a real fine Photographer.

As a Professional which lenses do you recommend for the Nikon D50?

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

divertwo

divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:13 PM   #4

A beginner is someone who takes pictures however doesn't understand the basics of photography or the equipment they are using.

An amateur photographer is learning the basics and learning about their equipment.

A serious amateur is starting to master the photographic basics and has a pretty good handle on their equipement.

A semi-pro is now starting to make some money, and a pro makes theirliving from photography.

I think the above is a pretty good breakdown.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5
DBB

divertwo wrote:
Quote:
DBB,

How about sharing some of the Great photos you have made. Some photos of the buildings would be nice. Just when you can spare a minute. I know you are a real fine Photographer.

As a Professional which lenses do you recommend for the Nikon D50?

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

divertwo
The D50 is a fine dSLR. Whatever lens that will work with any dSLR will work with the D50.

So what do you want to do? What is your budget?

I gave up drugs to afford photography, so there's really no limit on what you can spend here...:?

My only real suggestion is not to avoid Nikon brand lenses, because they make some fine glass. But for a particular focal lenght you might find that Sigma, Tamron or Tokina make a lens that is almost as good, at half the price.

So start off with knowing what your going to be shooting, and pick the focal lenght that accomodates that use...

And there's always room for creativity and originality in photography. Not everything has been done, and never will be.

Dave

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:27 AM   #6

DDB congrats on working on the drug problem! It is a worthwhile pursuit!

I make my living from photography but still have more to learn by far than I know currently! With changing technology it both speeds up the "learning curve" and requires some effort to stay current on new things. This forum has been very helpful to me and I always check here before making equipment purchases. We have such a broad base of experience here that it helps narrow choices and reduces purchasing errors.

HAPPY SHOOTING!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:05 AM   #7

that bird looks like it's lookin' at you. :lol:
anyways -- im an amateur at best.
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:48 AM   #8

Quote:
A beginner is someone who takes pictures however doesn't understand the basics of photography or the equipment they are using.

An amateur photographer is learning the basics and learning about their equipment.

A serious amateur is starting to master the photographic basics and has a pretty good handle on their equipement.

A semi-pro is now starting to make some money, and a pro makes theirliving from photography.

I think the above is a pretty good breakdown.

-- Terry
Thats a pretty good definition Terry

Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:04 AM   #9

Ok, what about the people who are between semi-pro and pro. They make money and know thier techniques and equpment but do not make a living at it?:?

(sorry, I just had to ask)
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:35 AM   #10

The kid shooting portraits at Sears is a Pro (he's getting paid for it).

The real difference is the level of proficency of the photographer...& not just equipment use, more of the eye for composition (one of the top 10 SI Swimsuit photographers only uses disposable point & shoot 35mm cameras. Anybody see him in one of the "making of" videos? While he looks like an eccentric artsy kind'a guy, he's a big-time photographer in the fashion scene).