Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 2, 2003, 7:14 PM   #1

Default Free HTML Gallery Creator

These links are to Jeremy Cupit's ' HTML Gallery Creator' utility posted over at dpreview. It's for free use and enjoyment!

If you have webspace and don't know what to do with it, this 'quick and dirty' tool creates your own Pbase style gallery, with cam EXIF data. You just upload the output files it creates!

Although written for XP, it works on Win98SE. One trap: the file directory expects input files to be downsampled already for web publishing. 'Out of resource messages' get thrown up if you try asembling your 3Mpix images!

I'm not an HTML programmer, but even I could get this to work!

http://www.btinternet.com/~cupit.hay..._sheet_01.html

http://www.btinternet.com/~cupit.hayes/thumbs_dist.zip
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2003, 8:09 PM   #2

This works great!! I have been looking for somthing like this for a long time! Got any more cool free programs?
-Dave
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 1:05 AM   #3

Thank you very much for this info. I spent about an hour creating a gallery on my website yesterday. With this program, I was able to do the same thing under 5 minutes. Wow!
nepali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 4:33 AM   #4

Thank Jeremy, the author! Some of the best ideas are often simple. Of course we can all add our input for improvements, but free, 'quick and dirty' is fine for me. When I get back from a wedding or party and just want to get pics of my friends on my free webspace, without writing a word of HTML!

He'll probably pop over here as he gets more hits!
Old May 3, 2003, 12:12 PM   #5
lg

The web pages looks very clean and well-laid out. Voxmagna, are those your pictures? I am curious what was used to resize the pics to 800x600 and still preserve the EXIF data. Nice pics, too!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 12:53 PM   #6

No, check the URL!

It's his example of what the prog does with his pics. Useful, as you can see Jeremy's colour scheme, and experiment with your own. I assume he has used a separate batch resize from his cam originals for the photo files. Most recent version editors like PS and ACDsee v4 will preserve Exif on re-size now. That's what I missed first time round. I thought you fed the prog with big cam files and it dowsized! It doesn't on my 98SE, only seems to scale the thumbs unless it does more in XP. Screws up on memory if you check 'use original image size' I think the max image size is just a size filter trap. Visit Dpreview and post him a line.

I suppose the next step, is to see in terms of images per page and downsize/compression ratio, what is optimum layout for 56K diallup modem.
Old May 3, 2003, 4:59 PM   #7

One glitch I can see with that program from viewing the author's pages is that it doesn't tell you what page you are on (without looking at the URL), and it allows you to select the page you are on (if you're on page 2, it still allows you to select page 2)...some simple HTML editing can take care of that, but it's something that could automatically handled by the program.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote