Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:48 PM   #1

Am I the only one that thinks lens hoods are highway robbery? Charging $50, even $30 dollars for a lens hood is ridiculous.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e&n=502394

All it is is a simple plastic mold; why mark it up so much? It drives me insane.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:42 PM   #2

Agreed.

About six months ago. I got a multi-focal length rubber collapsible hood for a zoom lens off of ebay for about $12.00. It sounded just about identical to one the Adorama was selling for around $35.00. Well, since then the rubber at the "folding points" have deteriorated quite badly and pretty soon I expect to see tears and then actual holes! I have no idea if this is just cheap-grade rubber or whether the Adorama hood would suffer the same fate.

I just heard about this site and checked it out:

http://www.photocritic.org/2006/diy-lens-hoods/

There is a link on this page to download printable plans for numerous lens hoods that you print out as templates for making your own lens hoods out of heavy, black paper! Sounds wild enough to try out, and, like the commercial says, "Stick it to The Man."

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:11 PM   #3

Most likely due to the word CANON on it.

But look here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Lots of rigid metal hoods for much less.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:27 AM   #4

Hi Justin!

Really I can't understand you...today 99% of the lens makers, mostly when you buy any zoom lens came with a lens hood, so...it's OK!

Dont worry...be always extremely happy!

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:43 AM   #5
rey

Actually, when I was doing my research on cameras, I did noticed that Canon tend to NOT include lens hood with theirs.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:01 PM   #6

Canon is an excellent marketing company, thier involvement in photography is unfortunate. (Yeah, thats pretty much how I feel). The more I research, the more I photograph, the more gear I buy... the more I feel this way. They have some good products and innovations, but they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to putting together a whole real-world package. They have become Microsoft.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:48 PM   #7

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
They have become Microsoft.
:-)

They're certainly on their way. That's the problem with market dominiation. There is no incentive for them to give you more. That's why I love the fact Sony has taken over for KM. And that so many companies are getting involved in DSLRs. Most of the other companies won't survive (probably will end up getting bought out by Canon, Nikon and Sony) - but the competition over the next couple years will force Canon and Nikon to provide more features and at a lower cost to a more demanding market.

On this particular topic - I'm definitely with you. Last year when I bought a $1400 100-400L lens the fact it came with a cheap plastic lens hood was a joke to me. My Sigma 70-200 2.8 (then a $720 lens) came with a better grade hood. I know my 28-135 came without a hood. I can't remember if my 17-40 came with one or not (I have one but I might have bought it separate don't remember).

It's also helpful that the quality of third-party lenses has really picked up. So, there are serious alternatives to buying OEM lenses for many instances.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:38 PM   #8

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
It's also helpful that the quality of third-party lenses has really picked up. So, there are serious alternatives to buying OEM lenses for many instances.
There are lots of reviews and recomendations that suggest some of the third party lenses beat out thier nearest brand-name competetors, or come extremely close. That at 1/3 to 2/3 the price while including hoods, storage cases, and a much better warranty. I get the impression that the big names are more consistent in thier quality, but from the many reports about kit lenses (from the several top brands)thats changing.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote