Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:56 PM   #1

Hi, is there a difference between a Digital Rebel and a 30D concerning the focussing process? I'm using a 35mm F2 lens with a Digital Rebel and it's really hard to get a perfect focus. The viewfinder is way toosmall to do it, and even with the AF points, it's really not allways perfect. Would a Canon 30D do a better job?
grouminou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:19 PM   #2

Which Rebel do you mean? The original or the newer one?

I don't believe the AF system is really different between the new DRebel XT, but the original DRebel's AF system isn't as good as the 30D's.

There are some differences between the AF systems on the XT and 30D, but I believe they are more oriented around when focusing in low light.

The small (and dark) view finder is a problem I had with the 20D. I was very happy when I replaced my 20D with the 1D MkII N, which has a larger brighter view finder.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:15 AM   #3

It's with the old Digital Rebel (Kiss). I'm looking to buy the 30D eventually, but the 1D is way over my budget since It's just a hobby for now.

I'm beginning to have a few good reasons to change... Higher pixel count, larger viewfinder, faster operation, better focus, compatible with all my current gear...

Also, it's weird that the viewfinder size/brightness is neverlisted in the specs. This is what we are using to capture the picture...
grouminou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:43 AM   #4

I have recently upgraded from the Digital Rebel, (300D, Kiss) to a 5D and the viewfinder on the 5D is huge in comparison. Overall, the camera is a lot faster at everything from autofocus to how many shots can be taken at once. I have not looked inside a 30D but I assume it is equivalant to the 20D. If you can save up for the 5D go for it, but if it's just going to remain a hobby than the 30D will please you plenty. The 30D will be about 3 stepd up from the Rebel. (Rebel then 10D then 20D then 30D)

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:37 AM   #5

From all I've read, the 30D is only a minor shuffle (not a full "step up") from the 20D. So the leap from the Kiss to the 30D won't be as big as you might think, but it is a good move.

Getting better control over exposure compensation will be huge. One of the reasons I would never have purchased the original DRebel is that I MUST have flexable exposure compensation control, and the DRebel just doesn't have it.

I wasn't trying to suggest you buy a 1-series camera, they are very expensive. I was just agreeing with you that the view finder on the DRebel and even the 20D isn't very bright or big.

If you can afford to do it, I would upgrade to the 30D. It has many advantages over the original Digital Rebel.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote