Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 4, 2003, 12:17 PM   #1

Default and now my 1 week old A70 has just died !!

:x

Well I've owned my brand new sparkling UK 250 Canon A70 for exactly 8 days and it just died on me !!

I was out taking pics to road test it some more when suddenly on pressing the on button nothing happened - I wondered if it was maybe just that the batteries had died , but last time I got a warning as they were getting low.

Ah well I thought head home and try fresh batteries and see if it springs to life and guess what ? It didn't :x

Well isn't that a nice introduction to digital photography - ah well I guess a trip into town tomorrow is in order , qusetion is do I see if they have an A70 with a serial number well away from this one - in case it was a dodgy batch, or do I consider a different Cam ?

Minolta S411 perhaps, or Nikon coolpix 3100 or the Olympus 720

Decisions, Decisions.

Aint life sweet :?
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2003, 5:34 PM   #2

That's life in the electronic age. I wouldn't worry about serial numbers. Also, the reasons you chose the A70 in the first place are still valid. The other brands and models have their own problems.

Remember that things are still changing rapidly in the digital camera arena. Every model is essentially a brand new design with the high percentage of bugs that this implies. Digital cameras are probably the only product that I would consider buying an extended warranty for.

It's worth the headaches, though. Digital cameras are really enjoyable toys.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 8:04 PM   #3

I wouldn't fault the A70 or Canon...I mean ANY camera or camera brand could have the same problem...at least you found the problem within a week (close enough) which should mean the store (if it is nice) should replace the camera for you...try, "Look, I had the camera a week and it dies? I want a new one."
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 4:48 AM   #4

Yeah you are quite right it could happen with any brand, what concerned me a little is i have seen the odd post that pointed to Canon having a quality control issue - inc one poster who took THREE back before switching to another brand.

That said I have not found any other cam in the same price bracket that delivers anywhere near the features of the A70 and the best overall balance FOR ME. So I think I will give the A70 another chance.

I don't forsee any problem exchanging , having only had it so long and the store did a price match in the 1st place when I bought it which suggests a customer orientated store.

Thanks for yr feedback/comments

Stef
Old May 6, 2003, 12:27 PM   #5

Let me know what happens.
Old May 6, 2003, 12:28 PM   #6

Yous till considering the A70 Honey ?
Old May 6, 2003, 3:24 PM   #7

yeah, but your experiences I'm reconsidering, but there isn't anything else that is catching my eye in the same price range.
Old May 6, 2003, 3:54 PM   #8

yes that's exactly where I am at have considered so many dif models and even now ehrn thinking should I go for another brand I have found nothing else that fits my desores as well.

I will likely give the A70 another chance

Stef
Old May 10, 2003, 7:04 PM   #9

Well took back my A70 today and the Camera shop (Jacobs for any UK readers who may be interested) exchanged it no problem - lets hope this one lasts and has no problems/issues :-)

Stef