Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 4, 2003, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Shooting into the sun

Please have a look at this pic and offer any tips for shooting RIGHT int the sun. it happens a lot her ein OZ and my solutions is to up exposure but it still doesn't work too well. My camera has exposure and white balance as the only real adjustments i can make. What other features woul dbe handy. I upped exposure two stops in this pic .... what would you have done? ..........

Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2003, 3:17 AM   #2

They obvious doesnt support outside links!

Try again!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 3:59 AM   #3

Alfisti,

Four options: 1) increase exposure (as you are doing), 2) for close-up subjects, use fill-in flash or a reflector, 3) walk round to the other side of the subject and 4) come back later when the light source has moved.

I know that at various times any or all of these is impractical. As a tourist you may not always be able to get exactly the picture you want if the light is wrong as you pass by. Of course, the dedicated (or professional) photographer gets up at 5.00 a.m. to be in the right place at the right time...

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 10:27 PM   #4

Hopefully this works ...

Thanks for your reply ..... moving about or waiting is either a) not possible or people GROAN in a a posey shot "what are you on about, this will be fine let's just take the damn picture".

HEhhehee
Old May 6, 2003, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
What other features woul dbe handy. I upped exposure two stops in this pic .... what would you have done? ..........
You've got it about right ,judging the correct amount of exposure takes experience. Some cameras have auto bracketing to make it easier - there's no magical solution.

You can use fill-in flash if the subject is close enough, I'd be surprised if your camera doen't have the facility to force the flash.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 11:25 AM   #6

I'm an amateur, I don't see anyting wrong w/ that pic.
Old May 6, 2003, 2:28 PM   #7

So what is wrong w/ the pic?
Old May 6, 2003, 4:41 PM   #8

There is nothing wrong with the picture. It's a bright sunny day and from the shadows, the sun is directly overhead.

I suppose you could haul out the reflectors and a few megawatts of HMI lights, but the shadows are not a problem in this photo, nor is backlighting.

It's not all that interesting, but I suppose he doesn't live near a nude beach.
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 5:43 PM   #9
lg

You might try a polarizing filter to deepen the blue sky and reduce the glare on the water.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 6:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
You might try a polarizing filter to deepen the blue sky and reduce the glare on the water.
Yes i'd love to but i don't have filters and will be changing cameras soon to one that doesn't accept add on filters.

What's wrong with it? The shadow is too dark given that the bright sun has "tricked" the camera. if i up exposure anymore i loose detail. Maybe one more stop?