Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 5, 2003, 4:56 AM   #1

Default Problems transferrig photos from digital camera under Win XP

Hi folks,
I hope someone can help me with this one. I've just re-installed Win XP on my computer and now it won't automatically start the Scanners & Camera wizard to transfer photos from my camera (Casio QV3500) to the hard drive when I connect it. According to Casio's site I do not have to install any drivers as Win XP should recognise it automatically. When I plug it in it recognises that it is a Casio Digital Camera but then it just gives me an icon for it as a "Removable Drive" under "My Computer". I can access the photos this way and copy or cut and paste them onto my hard drive but it is much less convenient. I don't know what settings I have to change to get it to ask me if I want to transfer photos from it when I plug it it. I've tried adding a device under the Scanners & Cameras wizard in Control panel but to no avail.
Any tips or advice welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Dermot
Manchester, UK
Dermot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2003, 8:47 AM   #2

did you get any drivers with the camera

just try installing them

sorry if this is no help
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 10:59 AM   #3

It says on the Casio site that it isn't necessary as Win XP will recognise it. Despite this and upon your suggestion I decided to try it but it said "Current OS not supported" when I tried to install it.

Thanks anyway.

Dermot
Old May 5, 2003, 11:15 AM   #4

tried checking microsoft for updates

on IE go to tools and Windows Updates
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 1:51 PM   #5

If the camera is recognised as an external drive by the computer then no driver is needed, and the computer doesn't see it as a "camera"...it sees it as a "drive".

That Cameras&Scanners thing was from back when it was thought that all cameras would be TWAIN driven, like scanners were (I still have a TWAIN camera kicking about) but it's much easier to have the camera as a storage device because no driver is needed for the camera and you can plug the camera in any computer without a driver.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 2:16 PM   #6

My canon camera at first would pop up the auto-wizard feature of WinXP. Though now it does not but I can get the wizard back by right-clicking and selecting Get Pictures from the menu of the cameras icon in My Computer.

Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 5:28 PM   #7

I've tried right clicking the "Removable Disk" icon for my camera but "get pictures" is not an option given. I've tried changing things about on the "properties" tab when I right click it but to no avail. This feature of having the Scanners and Cameras wizard starting up each time I plugged in my camera used to work fine on my PC running Win XP up until I reinstalled it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Dermot
Old May 6, 2003, 9:52 AM   #8

Have you installed any of the service packs for Windows XP?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 10:03 AM   #9

Do a search before you try installing any of the Casio drivers - I recall seeing some horror stories about folks doing that with Windows 2000 and having to reinstall the OS.

The only advantage that I know of for the Casio software over a simple copying from the "removable drive" is the EXIF information. DiCaInfo (http://www.dicasoft.de/dicainfo.htm)does a better job of getting all the EXIF data than Casio's PhotoLoader for the 3000 and (I think) for the 3500.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 3:55 PM   #10

Sorry guys for the delay in getting back to you all. I've tried all the suggestions about downloading all the latest updates for Win XP etc but to no avail. I can live with having to copy the image files from the "removable storage drive" icon that comes up under "My Computer" when I connect my camera.

Thanks for all your help though.

Regards,

Dermot