Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2006, 2:52 PM   #1

Hey all, I've seen a lot of people posting extremely close up shots of things like butterflies and flowers and saying that the lens they were using was only 50-80mm... and my question is, how is that possible?

I have trouble making a flower fill up the entire frame using my Kodak P850 (which says it has a 36-432mm lens). So how can people take a picture of a single flower petal filling up the whole frame with 72mm... if I can't even get the entire flower to take up the frame with my 432mm lens... and if I try stepping closer to the subject, it goes out of focus. I am quite confused. Help please?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:58 PM   #2
Administrator

Some lenses are designed to focus closer than others.

With some models, you have to be on the wide angle end to capture the smallest possible area (getting very close to your subject to do it).

With other models, you have to be on the telephoto end of the lens to capture the smallest possible area.

With your Kodak, it doesn't make much difference. You can capture roughly the same area at either end of the zoom range. But, you'll have less distortion on the long end (most apparent magnification).

The smallest area that you can "fill the frame" with using your Kodak is around 4 inches across. For best results, you'd probably want to shoot in Macro Mode (flower icon showing on display).

You may be able to get an add-on lens for it if you need better Macro performance.

Focus Distances allowed in Macro Mode with your P850:

Macro close-up: 3.9 to 35.4 inches (10 to 90 cm) in wideangle and from 35.4 in to 6.6 ft. (90 cm to 2.0 m) in telephoto.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:47 PM   #3
E.T

Something like +4 diopter close up lens should work nicely in tele end if there's way for attaching it... meaning propably buying some overpriced piece of plastics called "filter adapter" from Kodak.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:47 PM   #4

Thank you both for the help. Out of curiosity, if my camera can fill the frame with 4 inches minimum, than what kind of a camera would you need to zoom in enough to fill the frame with an inch or less? Would that be an expensive DSLR camera?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:19 PM   #5
DBB

I do believe you are missing the point here. I have a VERY expensive DSLR, and by itself cannot make the kind of focusing that you are referring to. I would have to go out and purchase a lens with "macro" capability.

What about Point and Shoot?

If you look at reviews of cameras, you will find that many are quite capable of focuing from ten inches on down to two inches. Simply look at the list of specifications and you will see which cameras OR lenses can do this.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:21 PM   #6
Administrator

You can buy closeup lenses for many cameras.

But, for "straight from the box" ability, the older Nikon Coolpix Swivel Bodied models are pretty good (Coolpix 900, 950, 990, 995, 4500). The 990 was one of my favorite cameras (and I've still got a 950).

These can "fill the frame" with a subject less than 2/3" across with virtually no distortion (since the "sweet spot" for macros is at around half zoom).

Did your camera come with some kind of lens adapter? If not, it looks like B&H has one for it with 55mm threads. You could probably find a dedicated closeup lens, or a generic diopter set that works OK with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;sku=396573

You may want to ask in the Kodak Forum to see if any P850 owners have found a solution that works well.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:38 PM   #7

Thank you everyone, I think I am beginning to understand how this works.

I have found that my camera, when fully zoomed in, will not focus correctly unless I am at least two feet away from my subject. If I understand your replies alright, then I think I can correct this to some degree with some of the add on lens filters from Kodak.

I have seen a few lens filter adapters for my camera and when I have the money, I think I'll consider buying one of them alone with a good macro filter.

Thanks for the help,
Keilan
Old Jun 17, 2006, 7:57 PM   #8

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
I have found that my camera, when fully zoomed in, will not focus correctly unless I am at least two feet away from my subject. If I understand your replies alright, then I think I can correct this to some degree with some of the add on lens filters from Kodak.

Exactly, "tele-macro", using the lens at full zoom but with a close up lens.

The full zoom that would normally mean you can only focus at 2 feet would be reduced depending on the power of the close up lens, meaning you get closer the subjects fills more of the screen.

The Canon 250d or 500d are good close up lens as pointed out in my other post iirc.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:46 AM   #9

Are you using your Macro setting? At 4.5 inches focusing distance you should more than fill your frame with a flower like a rose.

Max
Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote