Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:02 PM   #1

We are going to Jackson Wy. in August. I just ordered a Pelican case for my gear. It's small enough to be carry on.
My question is will I be allowed to carry my tripod on with me, or will I have to try to get it in my bag. I'd rather carry it with me. I don't know if I'd be able to replace it in Jackson if it dissappeared somewhere along the way.
Thanx,
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:37 PM   #2

If it's small enough, you could shove it in a backpack and take that on with you. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to carry it on unless you had too many carry on items.

Good question as I'll be flying next January to Hawaii.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:57 AM   #3

I would suggest taking a backpack as your carry on and just putting all your photo equipment in it... it only counts as one carry on item... that is assuming your tripod fits in your backpack... if it doesn't then I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to use it as carry on.

Although I really don't see where you'll find the room to set a tripod up on a plane.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:15 AM   #4

Morag - I bought first class, so there should be room...:blah:
Ron
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:21 AM   #5

Ron,

The question comes up periodically. A tripod is not on the official 'no-no' list of TSA. But when I contacted TSA about it last year, the response I got is it's up to the discretion of the particular agent. So, if you get a hard-case agent he/she may say a tripod with a heavy head is a potential weapon and force you to check it. At that point, you're up a creek. I opted to pack mine in my checked baggage the 4 or 5 times I've flown since. I've never heard of someone actually being refused but I didn't like the notion that it's up to someone's discretion.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:44 AM   #6
Super Moderator

In the real world (as opposed to the anarcho-tyranny fantasyland that the TSA inhabits) a tripod would be a much better weapon than a tiny pair of nail scissors.

Of course the real world is irrelevant.

Our security is in the hands of people too stupid to hold down a burger-flipping job but armed with the full might of the state and lots of guns and who are allowed to use their "discretion" i.e. randomly pick on people they don't like the look of.

Good for terrorising grannies and war veterans, but notmuch help stopping terrorists. But *shh* it's a secret we can't talk about.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:28 AM   #7

I can't comment on tripods directly, but some of the tips I've heard are:
Get an electronic ticket
Check your stuff as soon as possible.

This lets you stay away from people who might tell you that you have to check your carry-on. The fewer opportunities that they have to stop you, the better chance you'll have of making it.

The last tip is: Don't look like you're carrying a bag that is heavy. The best solution I've heard is to use a bag with rollers... then it doesn't look heavy at all.

They have full discression to make you check it, but you can try to make that less likely by "playing the system."

As to peripatetic's comment. My real complaint is that they are doing things to give the illusion of security without actually giving much security. We will not allow sissors, but will allow knitting needles. I can threaten to kill someone with either just as easily. I just hope what they are doing behind the scenes actually *does* improve security - 'cause the visible things seem to be more for show.

Eric

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:09 PM   #8

Depending on the size of the tripod, even first class doesn't have much room.

And I wasn't thinking about the fact that it could be a weapon... I got a pair of scissors taken away from me once... I think I would have to have the guy tied up and unmoving on the floor before I could even scrape him with those scissors... I think that there would be a lot of people who would turn you back in security for having a full sized tripod.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:19 PM   #9

I often travel to the other side of the Atlantic, hardly ever internal and never in the States (there's the car for that) but and especially since the tightening-up of the rules I've always packed my tripod with the checked baggage - never as a carry-on.

Don't forget that even carry-on must "fit" a size limitiation.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:40 PM   #10

Thanx all,
I was thinking I would put the ball head in my checked luggage, or maybe in the pelican case if there's room, and strap the tripod to the pelican case. Maybe I should just put it in the luggage. I may give the airline a call.
Ron