Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:43 PM   #1

I'm confused as to what I'm supposed to use for cleaning oil (I think it's olive oil) off the lens. I would assume to go and get some cleaning solution, as a cloth just spreads the oil and creates a foggy haze all over it rather than a big oily blob in the middle... but then the Canon manual tells me to absolutely never use synthetic solutions/cleaners on the lens... but a synthetic chemical solution seems to be the only thing that could possibly get it off. I'm pretty worried that I've damaged the lens by leaving the olive oil on it for a couple of days, I've also tried to clean it about 4 times and I'm worried I've touched it with cloths way too much... I'm scared I've taken coatings or something off... is that easy to do? Will olive oil make coatings on the lens degrade?
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:31 PM   #2

Try a solution of 1-part vinegar dilluted with 3-parts water. I would put is on a micro-firber cloth & wipe the lens off several times over a period of a few days (always using a clean section of cloth). After 7-10 passes, try using just the micro-fiber cloth to polish it.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:06 PM   #3

geez.. i cant believe u left the oil on for that long, aren't u worried the oil might soak into the camera?
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:10 PM   #4

but maybe the oil will help cause less grainy pictures..:G -- sorry.
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote