Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:32 PM   #1

My two year old baptized my Funifilm F10 by immersion. I hoped it would work when it dried out, but unfortunately my shots come in with white stripes all over (moire) and the colors messed up. (See a couple samples at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlsnow/ )I'm no expert by far, but I'm guessing the sensor is damaged. The wierd thing is, the camera can still take videos just fine. When I take a photo, it shows up fine in the LCD, but when I switch to play it shows up with the stripes and when I upload to my computer as well.
Is this something I should send in to Fuji, or do I just need to buy a replacement? (I purchased the camera in August 2005.) Thanks for any suggestions!
nlsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:31 AM   #2

Live and learn.

Assuming the camera could be repaired, it would probably cost more than the camera is worth. My suggestion is to write the episode off to experience and just buy a new camera.

Cameras (all electronics, for that matter) and water just do not mix. The water will cause electrical shorts and corrosion.

Pentax makes an Optio series called W10 which can stand a quick dunking. It is designed to be very water resistant.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

This might be a good replacement for you to avoid future water problems.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:13 AM   #3

I think it depends....it might be worth sending it in for them to give you an evaluation. A few years ago I was out by a pool & some guy dove in with his cell phone in his pocket. A minuite later, he remembered it, took it out & layed it in the sun. An hour later he turned it on & it worked fine.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:26 PM   #4

If the camera is in warranty, you should try to see if Fuji will repair it. See if you can call them up and talk to them.

If it's not in warranty, as amazing thailand says, the repair cost may be more than the camera current costs, so you will want to get a new camera. There are a few water-resistant (not dunk-proof though) cameras for sale.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 2:00 PM   #5

I'd expect at least a one year warranty? I wouldnt bother with a waterproof replacement, the next spill will certainly involve concrete stairs. Lightning dosent strike the same place twice.

Would the warrnaty even help, though? Probably worth just replacing, I wouldnt pay out of pocket for repair at any rate.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:36 PM   #6

Just a wild idea (something to rule out, rather than what I think would be wrong) - have you tried a different card? I wouldn't think this would be your problem, but I suppose its possible and if you have a different card, it would be worth the 2 seconds it would take to rule it out as your problem.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:19 PM   #7

The warranty, if it is still in effect, usually won't cover damages caused by the camera owner. The technicians probably are trained to see signs of water damage.

It can't hurt to call and ask Fuji. If it is under warranty, maybe they will let this incident slide and do the repair for free. You don't know until you try.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:55 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your replies - I'll try to keep you updated as to the results of the different suggestions.
nlsnow is offline   Reply With Quote