Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:30 AM   #11

omGARY wrote:
Quote:
other than the lifetime guarantee, fake memory cards still work right? i went to the above link u posted, and i'm not quite sure what the performance of the two different memory cards mean.. as long as it doesn't corrupt/distort pictures stored, fake cards don't seem too bad.. rite?
One big price difference among memory cards is in the read/write speed. If a fake takes a cheaper card from a cheaper manufacturer, you get both a card subject to lower QC and a card that will not operate as well. If you purchased a 60X SD card, you paid more than if you bought a 10X card from the same manufacturer. If you knew what you were doing, you paid the premium because you wanted to be able to take faster burst mode images, or to support streaming video, etc. If the card you end up getting is not 60X, you cannot do what you wanted to do with the card.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:31 AM   #12
rey

Memory cards are so cheap now that there's really no point of risking memory corruption just to save a few bucks. A 1GB Ultra 2 SanDisk is $40 at Costco last week, that's $30 less than it was over Christmas '05. If you want a non-SanDisk one, a 1GB is $23 (45x, PQI brand). I really don't see the need to consider "fake" cards that no one knows where it comes from, and who made them, and comes with no warranty at all. This is a one-time cost, you buy it once, and it'll last you a few years.

Just my 2 cents.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:07 PM   #13

Tom,

nless something has changed, the warrenty on SanDisk SD cards are still lifetime.
I just checked their web page and it says that explicitly:

SanDisk Extreme[sup]®[/sup] III SD™ Cards
SanDisk Ultra[sup]®[/sup] II SD™ Cards

Lifetime limited warranty***

***Except Europe

The "normal" sd cards are only a 5-year warrenty. The same was true of the CF cards. I believe that is how its been for a long time.
Which cards are you refering to? Could you show me a link to where it says what you are saying?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:23 PM   #14

rey,
the sandisk may be cheaper for the type compatible with your digicam, but i've never seen a sony duo pro memory stick for $40... cheapest ive found was $60 at bestbuy, and it's not even the high speed version. $60 is not cheap.

tom laprise,
what do u mean by 15,000 write cycle? after every 15,000 pictures or every 15,000 times you transfer pictures to your computer? or both? 15,000 doesn't seem like a whole lot for $60...
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:28 AM   #15

More like "15,000 times filling the whole card," since SD cards have a controller chip that tries to "spread the bits around," so to speak, to keep from having one portion of memory go bad prematurely. (Also, the chip will detect bad memory locations and know to not use them.)

You might start seeing reduced capacity before filling the card that many times (assuming 15,000 is the current average limit--I remember seeing that figure for first-generation SD cards), as the controller chip locks out bad spots. If the file allocation table is affected, it might look like the whole card has gone bad--a reformat would at least temporarily cure this, since the FAT would be rewritten into good memory.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it would make sense if the name brands/more expensive cards with longer warranties actually had more capacity than what the sticker says, and the chip limits it to only using the stated capacity so that as parts of the memory go bad, it can "dip into the reserve" to keep the capacity up.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:34 AM   #16

My thoughts on the 15,000 limit is something like this. Say you have a 2GB card...

2 times 15,000 = 30,000.

So I think you could add, then remove, then add data again up until about 30,000GB. (and I think the number 15,000 is a little bit low now)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:22 PM   #17

wow, 30,000 GB.. :shock:
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 3:19 PM   #18

Yep, it's never really been a concern for me... but say you bought one off Ebay that somebody had been using to transfer entire harddrives of date from one computer to another, that could have used up a fair bit of it's write times. It really depends on how long you plan to use it for.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote