Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:53 PM   #1

Can someone please educate me why memory sticks/cardson eBay are less than HALF the price compared to retailers?? I want to buy a Sony 1GB memory stick duo pro -- ARE there fake memory sticks/cards out there??
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2

The ebay cards are used and they also have a shipping fee attached to them. Retailers sell brand new cards, often with warranties. You can get a good deal off ebay, but retailers give you peace of mind.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:58 PM   #3

i don't know if all of them are used on ebay.. but what's wrong with a used memory card?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:10 PM   #4

Yes, there are fake/counterfeit cards on Ebay--I don't know about MemoryStick, but SD cards? You better believe it! Buyer beware:

http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/
junebug1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:21 AM   #5

other than the lifetime guarantee, fake memory cards still work right? i went to the above link u posted, and i'm not quite sure what the performance of the two different memory cards mean.. as long as it doesn't corrupt/distort pictures stored, fake cards don't seem too bad.. rite?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:08 AM   #6

I'm sure many of the fake cards work just fine--for a while. There have been reports stating that they fail after a few weeks or months. The real Sandisk cards have a lifetime warranty. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
junebug1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:20 AM   #7

so are there reports of fake digital cameras that look and work almost like the real one? i've seen fake Sony that you can obviously tell by looking at the logo.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:25 AM   #8

There are loads of fake Sony cards and sandisk cards going around at the moment! I would NOT recommend buyingoff ebay- if the price is too good to be true it's because it's not!

Try www.emartbuy.co.uk, their prices are cheap, I have bought off them before and my item came next day, they seem pretty spot on.

Tom
tom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:31 AM   #9

p.s the sandisk cards warrantys have been reduced to 10 years now, but it still better than no warranty at all!
tom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:51 AM   #10

Any flash memory card (CF, SD, MMC, XD, MemoryStick, etc.) has a finite number of write cycles--usually around 15,000--and a used card will obviously have fewer cycles left before files start corrupting as they're written to the card and capacity starts decreasing.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote