Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:50 PM   #1

I have been thinking of using Infared filters on my Canon 20D. Can someone tell me if they are suitable for use with this camera. I have heard they can only be used if the camera has the night feature. Thanks for any help.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

You can pretty much forget it.

The 20D has a very strong internal filter to block out IR light, so a filter that only lets in IR light would mean you're letting in (just about) no light at all.

If you want to do IR photography you will need either the 20Da (and even that's not great) or a specially modified camera - which makes it essentially useless for normal photography.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:09 PM   #3

peripatetic is right of course. Most newer digital cameras havethe IR blocking filter. There are a couple of companies that will modify a 300D, or 20D for IR but then that is all you can use them for. Another option is find an older camer, most are going to be around the 2mp range though. I have an old Olympus C2020Z, and it is great for IR, only 2MP but I have printed 8x10's that are very sharp. This is a very sought after camera because of its IR capibilities, but you can find them on e-bay, where I got mine for under $100. To modify a 300D (digital rebel) you're looking at around $500. All you will need with the Olympus is a conversion lens adapter and a HOYA R72 filter and you're in business.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:50 AM   #4

Thanks peripatic and Caboose, That's pretty well the info I received. Do you know if the Fuji S 602 zoom would be suitable to do this as I also have one of those at the moment, although I plan on selling it soon. Thanks again to you both.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 5:54 AM   #5

cock3tail wrote:
Quote:
Thanks peripatic and Caboose, That's pretty well the info I received. Do you know if the Fuji S 602 zoom would be suitable to do this as I also have one of those at the moment, although I plan on selling it soon. Thanks again to you both.
I'm not sure about your Fuji, but here's a pretty crude test to check the IR sensitivity. put your camera in program mode at ISO 100. Point a TV remote into the lens from no more than 12" away. Press any button on the remote and look for the IR beam in the cameras view finder or LCD.If the IR beam looks bright your camera shouldwork for IR. If the beamnot visible or very dim your chances are pretty slim with out a more expensive Wratten 88a filter, very long exposures, and a very solid tripod.

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote