Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:13 AM   #1

I want to share my pictures on the net, I found this sale on some webspace as a special offer in a magazine I get, is this a good deal?
  • Special offer for Maximum PC readers -
    $10 for one full year of Netfirms Advantage Hosting!
    [/*]
  • 2 FREE domain names[/*]
  • 20GB of disk space[/*]
  • 750GB data transfer per month[/*]
  • Host up to 3 websites with a single account![/*]
  • Support for PHP, Perl, and MySQL[/*]
  • 24-hour technical support[/*]
It sounds like a lot for $10, but I don't know much about the matter. Advice please?

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:40 AM   #2

It depends on what your requirements are. If all you want to do is share photos - there are plenty of services for doing just that - from free services to pay services that provide more bandwidth, storage space etc. The benefit there is you don't have to do all the coding - switching sizes, doing slideshows, etc.

I work in IT, and to me it's a classic 'build vs. buy' dilema. Unless you desing web pages for a living (and even if you do) - plenty of companies have already done all the work - so why do it yourself? If you want practice doing web design that's different - then it might be a good exercise. But if your purpose is just to share photos, then the existing products available are going to be better than 90% of the home-grown web pages.

Personally I prefer sites like www.smugmug.com or www.pbase.com that allow people to view your work WITHOUT joining. And they provide direct linking ability. But there are cheaper alternatives:

www.flikr.com

www.snapfish.com

and plenty of others I can't remember.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3

If you really want to get web hosting, go to a dicussion forum for web hosts such as http://www.webhostingtalk.com/.

That plan is way too good to be true; for a better idea of what you can expect for your money, view these plans:

http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dyna...ite/index.html

I've worked for that company before - I just finished designing a website for a photo lab in the Spokane area and put them on IPS Hosting.

But like John said, if all you want to do is share your photos, there are plenty of free services like Flickr available so you don't need to spend your hard-earned dollars.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:40 AM   #4

That offer sounded too good to be true for sure, so I did a little checking on it.

The Better Business Bureu gives it a SAT rating, which is pretty good.

The below link has a review of the service which was pretty informative.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=netfirms

I currenly use ********* and pay 9.95 a month and don't get near what they are selling, but I do like the service so far. (I've been with them for almost a year).

I think if I was looking to start a website, 10 bucks doesn't seem bad at all, but I would read "ALL" of the fine print. But I would only do that if you are planning on something more than picture sharing. The other sites mentioned above are free and already set up for pictures. If you build your own site, then you have to think about how you are going to design your site to share pictures.

I started up my site to help out with college classes in web design and now I use it to host our photography business along with another domain for a family/fun site so we can keep our family members updated.

After reading the fine print, it may be a worth while try.

Daveb
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5

While I would use it mainly for photo sharing, I also would like the freedom to expand a little bit, so thats what makes this deal tempting.

And although upon further inspection it does seem too good to be true, the part that I think gives it credibility is that it is an offer for Maximum PC Magazine subscribers only, and the regular price is quite a bit more reasonable. I think I will have to look at some of the fine print first however.

Thanks all.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:02 PM   #6

Check out smugmug.com $40 dollars a year gets you unlimited storage a ton of band width. You can also up grade to power user for around $59 per yearor pro user for $149 per year. It is also spam free, and as a power user you getto design your own header and you won't have thesmugmug Icon showing up on your web page.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:57 PM   #7

we have similar webhosting deals here in the uk.

i also wanted somewhere to host my pics to show family and friends but wasn't keen on the free photo sharing sites.

so i got myself a good hosting package very cheaply and have started to build my own online photo albums

i have control over the design, layout, colour scheme and i put my (limited) web site skills to good use at the same time. plus i can use the webspace for other stuff too.

so my hobby of taking pictures with my digicam extends to web design too

bloater

http://www.megap1xel.co.uk

bl0at3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 5:56 AM   #8

I had a look at the different services on the net and finally decided on Expressions because every other site ( free or pay ) seemed to be about having a social sharing onlline photo album. That isn't what I wanted.

Expressions seems to be the only service that was about the "art" of photography. It's a service bult by and for photographers. The various templates are varied, slick, and professional looking.

The level of photography on Expressions is very high. Quite a few of the winners of the2006PhotoBloggiesaward were with Expressions It costs $29 a year for 100 megs space. It's an additional $3 for each 100 meg beyond that.

I recently joined with their free 1 month trial and I will be staying on.
Blueberry Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:39 AM   #9

Blueberry Midnight wrote:
Quote:
I had a look at the different services on the net and finally decided on Expressions because every other site ( free or pay ) seemed to be about having a social sharing onlline photo album. That isn't what I wanted.

Expressions seems to be the only service that was about the "art" of photography. It's a service bult by and for photographers. The various templates are varied, slick, and professional looking.

The level of photography on Expressions is very high. Quite a few of the winners of the2006PhotoBloggiesaward were with Expressions It costs $29 a year for 100 megs space. It's an additional $3 for each 100 meg beyond that.

I recently joined with their free 1 month trial and I will be staying on.
My only concern would be the limited storage of 100 mb. I have only a little over 900 photos on my site at smugmug and have used over 700 mb of storage, and I still have lots more to upload. I don't think I would go with any site that had storage limits. Another nice feature is that smugmug stores your photos on 3 different servers in 3 different states I believe and if you have a computer crash you can order a DVD backup of all your pictures. They also have a pretty large band width of 6GB for the basic level and if you upgrade to the power user it is even more, plus you can also store video.

Another advantage of almost any pay site is if you do have a problem you can actually talk to someone that will fix the problem. The free sites you're pretty much on your own.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:04 AM   #10

Actually, I'm not a big fan of the storage limits either. But consider that it's only $3 to add another 100 meg ( since I'm in the UK that means only £1.50 approx for me! ) and that's a really small amount of money.

Also, as they mention in the F.A.Q on Expressions that even if you posted one 100K image every day it would still take you 2 years to use up your first 100 meg.

At the moment I'm posting every day because I just started and want some content on there. I'll probably slow down to one or two a week. Although... you never know ;-) Depends on if I can keep taking shots that I'm happy enough with to post up.
Blueberry Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote