Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:38 PM   #1

I was looking at a couple of dSLR's at the store and since the batteries were dead there is no auto-focus on, I was wondering about film SLR cameras and the split circle viewfinders or Haoda's Split Image Focusing Screen for dSLR's?

How does one get the right manual focus?

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--C...ns--store.html

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:03 PM   #2

with my oly e300 digi slr, when u set it to manual focus itll be blurred till u turn the focus ring and bring stuff into focus........u cant set it to manual focus with dead batteries though, the focus ring wont do anything if its set to autofocus either

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:32 PM   #3

The e-300 is somewhat different to most other DSLRs in that it needs a functioning battery even for manual focus because it's done using an electronic link between lens and camera, rather thanthe more usualmechanical link as on Canon and Nikon cameras. Mind you, they still need a battery to operate the shutter and the focus-ready light!

With the Canon and Nikon, you flick a switch from AF to MF, turn the focus ring until the scene appears sharp in the viewfinder, then gently turn it until you get a green focus-confirmation light in the viewfinder accompanied by a 'beep'.

Although I do love my E-500, it's MF is certainly not something I like, and I avoid it whenever possible.
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:54 PM   #4

I have the S1IS and the manual focusing is really annoying therefore I need a dSLR with macro capabilities.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:08 PM   #5

You can get a split screen for the Pentax DS and I understand they are easy to install. I've thought about it, but find that I can tell in the viewfinder when it is in focus (and I wear bifocals - mid-distance and close-up -with contacts for long distance). The camera also has a light and a beep (can be turned off) to tell you when it thinks it has a good focus also, though I find now that I can focus quite well without it. I often use manual lenses and have been known to get a good focus, half press the shutter to see if I'm right, only to find that I've forgotten to turn the camera on! I still think about getting a split screen but haven't felt an overwhelming desire for one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:11 PM   #6

Thanks will try that then make up my mind about the split screen.