Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2006, 3:14 AM   #1

Sorry for the truncated heading. I'm new to this forum and thus not familiar with the posting procedure. I went back to try and fix it, but evidently you can't edit the title portion once you post it. The title was supposed to read:

"A book called, 'Understanding Exposure.' Have you read it?"

Moving on...

I'm new to photography.

And the book called "Understanding Exposure" gets alot of great reviews.

But I have to wonder if you can use that book for digital photography. And I'm wondering that because of how the book is described:

"Drawing on 30-plus years of experience taking pictures,theauthorprovides a practical guide covering 'the photographic triangle'—the interrelationship between aperture, shutter speed, and film—that is at the heart of every exposure."

Note the part that says "the interrelationship between aperture, shutter speed, and film...."

With a heavy emphasis on "film".

And that's why I'm wondering if you're a partial dummy with digital photography like I am if his lessons on shutter speed and aperture would still apply to digital even though he's using film to teach with.

Has anyone read this book and if so, do you think you can applythe authorslessons to digital cameras?

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2

Photography is still photography. Today the 'film' is a silicon chip, instead of celuloid, but all the principals of exposure still apply.

The relationships of light, shutter speed, aperature and ISO have not changed and still apply.

The author may discuss the characteristics of a particular film (speed or brand) vs another and that would not necessarily apply, but most references to film with different ISO would. The difference is that to change ISO using film, one had to physically change the film, while with digital, one simply changes the ISO setting on the camera.

Understanding exposure is key to understanding photography.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3

The updated version of the book you mentioned includes digital photography. Go here for the weblink:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...151023?ie=UTF8

But, as the previous respondant said, light is light, whether you record images on film or digital sensors and memory cards.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:42 PM   #4

Amazing-T and Robbo, thank you very much for the feedback.

I just went to eBay andpurchasedthe book there. I'm new at photography and I really appreciate the help. And I'm sure other rookies out there do to.

AmazingThailand, I have a question for you on sort of the same subject. Please excuse my ignorance, but I just have to ask if the people in Thailand have a mail delivery service.

If so, is it reliable, and can you trust them to deliver the goods?

Would you feel safe ordering things from eBay and having it sent into Thailand?

If the answer is no to any of these questions, what do you do when you want to receive a package or mail one out?

If you're wondering why I'm asking these quesitonsit's because I live 30 minutes away from Mexico. And in my part of the world, which would be Tijuana and Ensenada, they don't have a mail delivery service thatanyone can trust. So the Americans that live there have to rent out a post office box over on the American side. And I really don't know what the Mexican nationals who live there do to facilitate reliable mail delivery.

Another reason I'm asking this question is because I'd like to someday live, temporarily,in a country other than the U.S. Thailand is appealing, though learning their language might be a problem for a slow poke likeme.

Old Jun 25, 2006, 2:10 PM   #5

RanchDressing wrote:
Quote:
I just went to eBay andpurchasedthe book there. I'm new at photography and I really appreciate the help. And I'm sure other rookies out there do to.
You will not regret your purchase. I have this book and have gone read it probably 4 times now. The lastest edition talks mostly about digital and is very informative.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 2:25 PM   #6

That's good to hear, Caboose. Earlier I mentionedwhere I readthat it receiveda great review. But that was only one review that I read. So it's good to read that other peoplefeel the same way about it.

A heads up to others out there like me: The book has several editions. One edition was printed sometime in the 90's. The latest edition was printed in 2004. So keep your eyes pealed for the latest edition whenever you decide to buy it orborrow it from your library.

And if you get it from your local library, borrow the darn book, don't steal it! (More than a few books at theSan Diego Public Libraryare missing. I bet that's a problem that all libraries have). :sad:

The San Diego Public Library had approximately three copies in stock. I believe only one of them was the late model 2004 edition.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:50 PM   #7

RanchDressing wrote:
Quote:
AmazingThailand, I have a question for you on sort of the same subject. Please excuse my ignorance, but I just have to ask if the people in Thailand have a mail delivery service.
Yes, Thailand has mail service, a tad slow, but reasonably reliable.

Quote:
If so, is it reliable, and can you trust them to deliver the goods?
Generally, yes.

Quote:
Would you feel safe ordering things from eBay and having it sent into Thailand?
Here I would answer no. one reason, is that many vendors charge A LOT for overseas delivery and the other is that I am leery of buying off ebay, even when in the US. To bid and expect to recieve a package in Thailand may be really pushing one's luck.

Quote:
If the answer is no to any of these questions, what do you do when you want to receive a package or mail one out?
Actually, Thailand pretty much has all the products that one would want to buy, including things like consumer electronics and computers. Sometimes even before they are available in the US. So my need to order from the US is pretty much nill. Additionally, I make regular trips to the US anyway, so I just hold off buying until I am there.

Quote:
Another reason I'm asking this question is because I'd like to someday live, temporarily,*in a country other than the U.S. Thailand is appealing, though learning their language might be a problem for a slow poke like*me.
Thailand is a great place to live. Very friendly people, a much lower cost of living and a nice tropical climate. Thai is a tonal language, which, for me, is very difficult to hear the tonal nuances, but you can easily master the basics of the language. Depending on where you were to live, english is pretty widely spoken and understood. This is mainly true for the larger cities (Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, etc) and just about anywhere that sees a lot of foreign tourists.

I would suggest you make a trip and check the country out for yourself. You will either love it, or hate it. Either way, it is a great place to go to take great photos.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:27 PM   #8

Let me add a big thumbs up to "Understanding Exposure". Bryan Peterson's other book, "Learning to See Creatively", is wonderful, also. These aren't dry textbooks either. They are a pleasure to read.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:46 PM   #9

Understanding Exposure is a great book to have in your collection, I still refer to it almost monthly to pick up some more tips/knowledge
polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:43 AM   #10

It's a great book. I took notes out of it and carry summaries in the field before I started to remember them on my own.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote