Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:50 PM   #1

I'd like to do some panoramic landscapes by stitching photos together but I don't even know where to begin.

First of all, do I have to keep the settings the same while taking the pictures, so that they match? Because that will lead to part being overexposed and part being underexposed.

And after I have the pictures, what program can I use to stitch them? I don't have photoshop or any editor that costs money, just some basic Kodak software and Picasa/photoplus.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:30 PM   #2

You should keep the settings the same for all pictures that will be in the panorama. Otherwise you'll end up with pictures that don't mesh when stitched together.

To obtain settings that will provide the least amount of under/overexposure, meter the portion of the panorama that is about middle in terms of under/overexposure.

As far as programs, I use a free program called Autostitch which you can find at the link below:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:10 PM   #3

Thank you very much, I'll be giving that a try as soon as I have the chance to take some shots again!
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:06 AM   #4

There are differences of opinion as to whether you should manually meter the entire panorama with the same settings. Some people feel that a program like Autostitch will even out the stitch lines and you will get a better overall exposure if you use separate metering.

My preference is to have all the settings the same and use Photoshop's Shadow/Highlight and/or contrast masking to even out the exposure across the panorama. But you don't have sophisticated editing capabilities and might be happier with each shot metered properly if you are going to use Autostitch. Try it both ways.

One thing nobody questions is that the white balance should be set the same for all shots and not on auto.

You often get better panoramas holding the camera with the long side up.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 5:02 AM   #5

This is a very informative website ,it guides you on which software to use from straightforward basic pano`s to full 360 vr pano`s.It also gives in depth software reviews

TD

http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6

Thank you very much, I took some shots and will have to see how they turn out when I stick them in autostitch.