Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:30 PM   #1

I was just wondering if pictures posted on a forum site or a magazine come under the protection of copyrighted material.In other words, if I post some picture I have on the web that could be used on a postcard or magazine illustration, can anyone just grab it and use it? There are so many photos I have taken, I don't mind someone putting any one of them on their computer, even using as a wallpaper or desktop background, or just to look at later, but would hate to go to the store and see it plastered on the front cover of some magazine.

Thoughts??

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:00 AM   #2

I'm pretty sure there is an assumed copyright and if you saw it on a magazine you could probably sue. I'm not sure though.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:13 AM   #3

Winemaker,

Your image is automatically copyrighted. But in the world of the internet that doesn't mean much to some folks. So, you have to decide if your images are important enough to you that you want to enforce some PREVENTATIVE measures. The easiest measure to do is just use image files large enough for display on the computerand not large enough for prints. Magazines especially require high resolution image files. If you're really worried you can put a watermark on your images on the net making it even more difficult for people to steal your images.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:13 PM   #4

copyright law says that you own the copyright the instant you press the shutter. Period. You don't have to register it or anything.. you own the copyright.

You can't do much to enforce the copyright without registering it, but that is separate from *having* the copyright.

JohnG is right.
If you worry about someone stealing your image (and I certaily do) then you should make the image small. That way, if they do they can't really do much with it any ways.

I would put a copyright notice on it. My logic is not that it prevents them from stealing the image, or that they can't remove it... they can. But it means they willfully did it. They knew it was copyrighted, and intentionally went around it to do what they want. And that makes them more guilty in the eyes of the law.

Of course, I am not a lawyer, so you really should consult one before you do something. Just because I think it is so, doesn't mean I am right.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:50 PM   #5

I know that there is an assumed copyright, and about trying to stop my photo's from being stolen. To be honest, I want people to use my photos, like if they're being used as a background or a personal webpage, thats great, however in some events, I would like some credit. And I think a tiny little tag saying "Keilan Scholten 2006" or something does that. And I would only use it for a VERY small amount of my pictures (the ones I really like).

If there was a picture that I really just didn't want to be used, I think the idea of making it small is as good as it gets. Thanks again guys.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:06 PM   #6

Something to consider......I've posted Web-sized images with my copyright logo on them. The Alabama State Parks Dept. actually stole one of my images & used it on their Website & a brochure. I brought it up & was totally ignored...until I sent them a bill for the use of my image, which they totally ignored.

If a State agency will do it, anybody will. If it's really important, make it the smallest resolution .gif you can.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:48 PM   #7

First, that's TERRIBLE that a state agency would violate a copyright. I really think they should be openly and publicly shamed. Perhaps a voice to a television or radio network is in order. They should absolutely not get away with that. Period.

Second, when you say "gif" why do you specifiy this file format? What about a small jpg with watermarks?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:07 PM   #8

The .gif is about as small as you can post (resolution-wise).
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:33 PM   #9

Let me guess??...... this guy in the avatar is making a shake at McDonalds? Or.... getting the rice and soy sauce mixed in his order of take-out Chinese food?:-)