Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 29, 2006, 5:04 PM   #1

I am purchasing my first digital camera. All my experience was with SLRs and film. Living on Maui I feel a polorizing filter will really help my shots around the beach. Is the larger lens type ('anasonic DMZ-FZ7) with inside threading the way to go.. or do any of the smaller lens cameras have a means of attaching a polorizer? Further comment is much appreciated.. mahalo nui loa.
Mystery Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:18 PM   #2

Some people get auxiliary hoods for telephoto adapters but I think everyone who just wants filters uses the threaded connection provided. The manual will tell you what mm you need. I have a different model FZ and the size is probably different.

Most smaller cameras have no way to add filters. If the lens retracts into the body and covers itself there is no place to put them. Some people have made clever holders that attach to the body with Velcro or attach via the tripod socket. I just use my Nikon polarized sunglasses.

Some compacts that are a little smaller than the FZ7 have threads for filters and adapters. Cameras with lens caps often have filter threads.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3

thanks Slipe..., is it hot down in Florida?
Old Jul 1, 2006, 8:42 AM   #4

Mystery Bob wrote:
Quote:
is it hot down in Florida?
It never gets above the low 90s but it is humid from late May to mid-September.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:48 AM   #5

Mystery Bob wrote:
Quote:
I am purchasing my first digital camera. All my experience was with SLRs and film. Living on Maui I feel a polorizing filter will really help my shots around the beach.
I got a nice picture of Maui from the security camera at work the other day: :G

Attached Images

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 2:15 PM   #6

That looks like the top of our big dormant volcano known as Haleakala (House Of the Sun).... It's inside is a great, albeit strenuous hike. At 10,000 feet down to sea level is only 30 miles and a popular bicycle ride. Just about every year someone that didn't realize the seriousness of that trip slides their bike out of control under a tour bus. Yikes! Thanks for the shot. Here's one of a windsurfer at Ho'okipa (hospitality in Hawaiian)......
Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7

Howdy neighbor. Every morning at dawn when the sun is at the right angle one of the buildings at the summit shines at us.

Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:25 PM   #8

We can also see it in the middle of the night by moonlight and maybe starlight. This camera is pretty sensitive. I haven't been able to get anything impressive with my FZ7 yet - it doesn't have the sensitivity or zoom capability of the big security camera, and I'm just learning how to control the aperture and speed.

Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:49 PM   #9

Amazing place it is and the energy is supercharged. Enjoyed those photos....aloha nui loa
Attached Images