Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:24 AM   #1

I'm looking to buy a book that will teach me photography. I have looked at a few, but it's difficult to tell if it's good or not. A lot of the books seem to fall between two posts, either they are far too simple ( how to print photos and what does jpg mean ) or far too complex ( bogged down by dry incomprehensible mumbo jumbo ). So I would like a book that goes into depth and explains the complex nitty gritty without being overwhelming or too dry. Hopefully it would also have sections on DSLR and their usage because i'm new to the DSLR world. Can anybody recommend me a good book? I'll be taking a trip to the book shop in a day or two.
Blueberry Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:12 PM   #2

I can't give perfect advice, but here ya go.

Very little is different between a DSLR and an SLR. So don't worry as much about that difference. The biggest difference is that ISO is now a exposure control like aperture and shutter are.

National Geographic produced a series of books about photography. Most picked a specific topic (portrait, wildlife, landscape,...) but at least one was a "basics" book. I've heard good things about those books, so you might want to check if a local library has them. They will be out of date now, so talk of which film is better won't apply.

But much of photography is the same with digital or film. How you frame the shot, how you deal with exposure, what depth of field is... all of that is just the same.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:05 PM   #3

Tom Ang has written some good books about digital photography. If you do a search under his name at Amazon you'll have a choice of several of his books.

Bryan Peterson has written some good books too. Again, search Amazon - you'll get several choices. Understanding Exposure is great for film or digital.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:08 PM   #4
Administrator

Check out our good friends at Shortcourses.com - Dennis has all kinds of good books and eBooks at very reasonable prices.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:07 PM   #5

I got these two books:

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...368834?ie=UTF8

and

[/b]The Confused Photographer's Guide to On-Camera Spotmetering (The Confused Photographer's Guide to . . . Series)[/b]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...e&n=283155

Together I've found them very helpfull.
Mourrri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the look of "Understandng Exposure."

Today at the book shop I got "Digital Rebel Field Guide" By Charlotte K Lowrie. I got it because it covers all the basics that I really want to know about, along with advice about how to shoot various subects and in various situations. It's also specific to my camera. As we know, manuals are often just total shit.

I'll definatly get "Understanding Exposure"

Thank you all.
Blueberry Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:46 PM   #7

Didn't have a clue what book to buy to help me with my camera, but ended up buying Digital Photographers Handbook by Tom Ang.

Anyway i'm not sure how good it is yet because i've not read it yet, but it's almost 400 pages long and has loads of pictures in it showing what can be done.

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Tom Ang has written some good books about digital photography. If you do a search under his name at Amazon you'll have a choice of several of his books.

Bryan Peterson has written some good books too. Again, search Amazon - you'll get several choices. Understanding Exposure is great for film or digital.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote