Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 8, 2003, 8:05 PM   #1

Default Need suggestions on cameras

I currently own a Sony Mavica CD250. The reason I chose it was because it allowed for unlimited video recording with sound, and the media is cheap (10 pack of mini CD-RWs for $20).

However, the picture quality (2MP) and the lack of manual controls are beginning to frustrate me. I'm considering moving up to the CD400 (4MP, more manual controls), but I'm wondering if anyone here would know of a better choice that would allow for unlimited video recording with sound (CD or memory card). The only other digicams I've seen with that feature are the Kodaks, but judging from what I've read I'd rather not get one.

My price range is up to $400 or maybe $500, if the new camera will completely replace my CD250 (which I can sell for more than $300).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-- phoenix
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2003, 10:31 PM   #2

Pentax 450/550 .. .most likely my next purchase.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 11:12 PM   #3

The Pentax Optio 450 looks like a nice camera, but it has a limited video recording time.

-- phoenix
Old May 8, 2003, 11:36 PM   #4
djb

the fuji s602 zoom allows unlimited (up to the end of storage) @
high resolution (640x480) @30fps. also is 3MP and an interpolated 6MP. although, prices range from $550+ to almost $700.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
The Pentax Optio 450 looks like a nice camera, but it has a limited video recording time.

-- phoenix
10 minutes. if you want more you DESPERATELY need a video camera my friend.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 4:26 AM   #6

it sounds like youre more intersted in filming video rather than taking pictures. I would suggest investing in a DV camcorder (preferably with a firewire connection). what I'm trying to say is, would you take digital stills with your camcorder?
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 7:02 AM   #7

I didnt realize the Pentax recorded 10 mins, that would indeed be plenty of recording time.

My main interest is still photography, however I go to conventions where I like to record performances and programs that go on for more than the minimum recording time allowed by most digicams.

About the Pentax Optio 450, does anyone know of a place with a good in depth review on it? It seems a bit difficult to find. After reading what Pentax had to say about it on the company website it does look to be exactly what I need. Although being able to add lens accessories (namely a wide-angle lense) would be very nice.

My main concerns with digicams are the shot-to-shot speed and noise in the images, the main weaknesses of Sony Mavica CD250 which I own.

-- phoenix