Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:03 AM   #1

Purchased a Samsung top of the line 17" LCD monitor 770P Syncmaster on June 8. I must say the compatibility of this product (and many current line of Samsung monitor products as well) and its usability in design is really a big joke.

The culprit is all about the Samsung greatly promoted MagicTune, which is simply a purely software controlled monitor design. There is not even one button nor any OSD/menu built into the monitors. Once the MagicTune failed to communicate with the PC, the display card OR the OS is not supported, then no adjustment of any kind can be made to the monitor - not even talking about calibration as such, because even very basic settings like brightness (black level) and contrast adjustment is impossible!

Even worst is that the MagicTune software is really really buggy, for both the original bundled CD version nor the latest version from the Samsung MagicTune "support" site. The selected language has never been correct for my numerious installation trials (for the two mentioned versions and on different machines) - fortunately I can still know the wrongly installed different language and go into the option to change it back to the right one after the installation. The displayed button and graphics are occasionally displayed in wrong places and in a chaos. Too bad really. I wonder if the software has gone through any systematic testing before it is rolled out onto the market..

It's a big shame for Samsung to market and sell poor and stupid product like this. I have tried a Creative 3Dlabs, a Asus NVidia VGA card, a MSI 845G VGA card and a MSI 845G DVI card. All the four display cards are having different display and/or communication problem with the Samsung monitor, i.e. either the physical and logical display area are mismatched or two cards out of the four failed to communicate with the MagicTune!

Finnaly, the saddest thing is that the picture quality LCD panel of my Samsung 770P is really excellent indeed, even I still cannot adjust it with a proper brightness and contrast combination (not even for a properly calibrated monitor). Now that highlights and shadows are clipped slightly on my 770P monitor (say for those from 0 to 16 and 240 to 256) but the image and picture quality is still looking very very good. I do believe it does have an excellent panel afterall.

BTW, Samsung has promised a total refund for my 770P, but I still wish to share my this terrible experience here so that anyone who considers a Samsung product should think twice and test in detail if possible before buying! I have decided that after I receive my refunded money, I shall go for a Eizo 1731 (which is just slightly dearer than the 770P but hearsay tells that the Eizo still uses the same Samsung panel!) Anyway I do have more confidence in Eizo than Samsung now!

I have used Samsung monitors since 1995 for a 15" CRT Syncmaster and then a 152T dual input LCD and now the 770P, too bad I am seeing clearly that deterioration in product compatibility and usability. My 770P synchronise very poorly for different video modes, e.g. text mode is often out of the area and dependent on display adaptor used which have never happened to any of my previous Samsung product! (but why thing got right in the past but now that in a mess?)

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:25 PM   #2

Im glad i didnt end up getting a samsung

Anyway - on the topic of calibration I bought a Gretag Macbeth calibrator for my 19" Viewsonic - bloody excellent, only took 5 minutes and there is a huge improvement.

For others considering an LCD for photo editing make certain that it is an 8bit panel and not a 6bit panel. A 6bit panel will not be able to display enough colours for you to be able to see proper shadows and highlights.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 8:11 PM   #3

I still use my Samsung SyncMaster 753s CRT monitor and am very pleased with its performance.

I can do detailed editing and the colour matches the output of my local print shop so that the colours I see on the screen are the same as the enlargemants printed on real photo paper.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Im glad i didnt end up getting a samsung

Anyway - on the topic of calibration I bought a Gretag Macbeth calibrator for my 19" Viewsonic - bloody excellent, only took 5 minutes and there is a huge improvement.

For others considering an LCD for photo editing make certain that it is an 8bit panel and not a 6bit panel. A 6bit panel will not be able to display enough colours for you to be able to see proper shadows and highlights.
Yep, 8-bit monitor is crucial. It not even gives more accurate colors, it gives more resolution just because dithering of 6-bit monitors (aka 16.2M colors mons) decreases displayed resolution.

Use also DVI as the input as the picture quality difference is smaller than those analog input from different display adaptors.I think if we are serious enough, get a Matrox.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

p.s. Isn't Samsung can be seen as Pentax and Pentax can be seen as Samsung now? :-D
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:09 AM   #5
E.T

Regardless of does it work or not this kind of scheisse shouldn't be accepted.

I bet that software even runs continuously on background consuming resources and the more there's programs running the better are chances for problems.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:04 AM   #6

I have a viewsonic and the monitor colours are absolutely wonderful!

Currently, I have an aversion to korean made things mainly because of personal experience andof the poor quality control issues. I have had samsung and LG phones, the software was buggy and the phones just kept dieing on me, even after I havereplaced them under warranty 5 times!!!I had a samsung tv and that went south too. And we all mustnot forget the hyundai excel (car started to be manufactured in 1998 and discontinued I believe in 2000 due to so many problems).I also am seeing a "morning glory" store pop up everywhere. Virtually every second store I see is a morning glory store, its like a starbucks. Each one sells all these cute things, eg. stationary. I bought some pens for my gf there, but they ended up not working after a day because there wasn't enough ink in the thing. I mean for all the affordability these electronics and other goods they are selling, its a plus, but quality-wise, I think it is a behoovement to wait until they got good infrastructure for quality control and get their act together bringing out stuff that actually works.Spend a few more dollars and you may get yourself something more decent.

I think someone made the analogy that samsung electronics were like a bucket of tomatoes thrown at a bullseye on the wall. Whichever one hits, is the working one, while the rest is all......you know what I mean.
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:31 AM   #7

The phasing out of CRT's for the current crop of TFT's is the worst possible thing for digital editing.....
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:50 PM   #8

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
The phasing out of CRT's for the current crop of TFT's is the worst possible thing for digital editing.....
That's probably true forpro-level colour management, but for the rest of us a quality LCD panel just about cuts it, and they take up far less desktop space -- not to mention being much easier to lift when a good clean-up is required. I'm quite fussy when it comes to colour-matching but no way would I go back to those hefty, old-technology, power-hungry CRTs.
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote