Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1
Log

get the 4 year extended warranty through bestbuy for $85 or should i put it under my parents homeowners insurance? ( which i heard is a good idea and usually cost about $1 for ever $100 of equipment) please reply as i am getting this evening/ 2morrow morning

thanks

Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2

Log wrote:
Quote:
get the 4 year extended warranty through bestbuy for $85 or should i put it under my parents homeowners insurance? ( which i heard is a good idea and usually cost about $1 for ever $100 of equipment) please reply as i am getting this evening/ 2morrow morning

thanks

Logan
Logan,

It depends on what is specifically covered by each policy. The four year extended for $85 sounds really good, but what does it cover, and where? If ,and only if, the two policies are exactly identical in coverage, then the homeowners would of course be "cheaper". Some questione you should have answered before choosing..

1. What are the limits and kinds of coverage ?

2. What are the geographical boundaries of the protection?

3. Any other "dumb" question you might have. (Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask)

4. Does it cover only accidental breakage or theft, or does it cover faulty parts?

Sorry to be so LW . Just keep your eyes open and you'll make the right choice. Good luck.

BTW, your gonna love the camera....

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Log

the bestbuy warranty covers mechanical errors andmanufactuering problems, while the extension on the homeowners policy covers accidental breaking (dropping) theft. Im feeling that the homeowners would be the better choice for the fact (even though im very careful with my equpiment) if it were to ever be dropped or abused by myself or family it would be covered. and the homeowners even covers if breakage due to tampering.

Logan
Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Log

double post:evil:
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:25 PM   #5

Logan - I would advise against using the homeowner's policy. A claim against most homeowners has 2 problems:

1. Usually carries a deductibly - $250 or $500.

2. Claims against homeowners policies count against the insured - it can lead to higher rates or getting dropped entirely. A lot depends on how many different policies your parents have with that company and how long they've been a customer. But it's surprising how quickly companies can drop you - especially if you have a couple claims.

I would suggest a personal articles policy. I know State Farm offers them - you itemize everything your covering, and provide receipts and it will cover EVERYTHING - drop it in the pool in Brazil - covered, someone knocks it off a table at a wedding - covered. And the claim doesn't carry a deductible and doesn't count as a 'strike' against your homeowner's policy (or your parents).

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:28 PM   #6

Does the store warranty cover dead or hot pixels?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:13 PM   #7
Log

Quote:
I would suggest a personal articles policy. I know State Farm offers them - you itemize everything your covering, and provide receipts and it will cover EVERYTHING - drop it in the pool in Brazil - covered, someone knocks it off a table at a wedding - covered. And the claim doesn't carry a deductible and doesn't count as a 'strike' against your homeowner's policy (or your parents).

JohnG... thankyou for this information... i had forgot to think of deductibles... now that this has been cleared i feel that personal articles policy is the only way... thank you for your wisdom neighbor (as i see you live in akron... i live in canal fulton)

Logan

ps pagerboy... yes bestbuys warranty covers hot/dead pixels, they gave me store credit for a new camera after one of my camera had a group of hot pixels.