Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:11 AM   #1

This has been bugging me for some time any answers im sure will be of help to myself and many others,I have not seen this brought up before and searching Google does not seem to throw up the answers, Thing is a lot / most cameras we buy nowadays use lion batterys ok ive researched a lion battery seems to last only up to 3 years max, makes no difference if you use it or store it seems the answer, So aprox 3 years if it was fresh when you bought the battery / or camera. So after 3 years when as we know the camera has been updated ect THOSE of us like myself have got to purchase a fresh new battery if we want to still use what in most cases a perfectly good camera, BUT will the model battery still be available ? i suppose my question is will the batterys we are using now be available after 3 years? seems all the camera maker has to do is change the newer modelcameras battery and we wont be able to use our present cameras because of older LION battery availability . Or will the lions we use today still be available in years to come just like AA batterys will be ? This has got me wondering if i should change my Panasonic Fz 20 , Fuji f 11. olympus C 7000, nikon D 50 all use lions to cameras with AA battery power ,Ok i know a lot of camera guys change every year but ive bought these cameras as best of breed imo now so as to use in retirement for years and years , must be others with the same worries as me ? any answers i thank you . (Worst speller sorry )
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:07 AM   #2

I have sony LiIon batteries I bought with a camcorder back in 1998 that are STILL going strong. Where did you get the 3 year life limit from?
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:29 AM   #3
DBB

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
I have sony LiIon batteries I bought with a camcorder back in 1998 that are STILL going strong. Where did you get the 3 year life limit from?
In addition, if there are enough users then third parties will make all the batteries you need...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:11 PM   #4

GOOGLE AND FORUM DP REVIEW POSTS MENTIONED LION BATTERYS LIFE IS UP TOAPROX3YEARS, AFTER THAT THEY DONT HOLD CHARGE SO WELL AND NEED REPLACING,THERE IS AN INTERNAL CORROSION GOING ON THROUGHOUT IVE READ THERE LIFE !,A GOOD REASON NOT TO LEAVE BATTERYS IN CAMERA , BUT IM ASKING HERE ANY ADVICE IM NOT THE EXPERT .
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:57 PM   #5

I would not necessarily believe everything you read on these (and other) forums, or, for that matter, on the web in general. There are many many posts that contain misinformation and just flat out wrong information.

Instead I would go by what the manufacturer of the battery, or some other real expert says. If Steve were to post the battery life, I would be much more inclined to believe whet he says, than some unknown poster.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:27 PM   #6

Hello Rodo,

The advantage of Li-Ion batteries is that they are light weight, compact, and only have a very minimal self discharge rate. The disadvantage is that they oxidize from the time they are manufactured, they require a strict charging algorithm,and the battery pack can be proprietary.

The battery manufacturers are working to improve the chemistry and have made significant strides. The early Li-Ion cells would be below 85% of capacity in 3 years, the current cells are running for about 5 years below their capacity falls off. The problem is that the electrolyte is very volatile and the seals are less than perfect.

There are a couple of work arounds...

You can live with 250 shots rather than the 300 you were getting with a fresh battery.

You can use the heck out of your camera and use up the 300-500 cycles before 5 years pass.

You can keep an eye on the Li-Ion battery manufacturers to make sure replacement packs will be available.

Or, you could invest in a camera that utilizes AA batteries as a back up... :-)

An interesting tidbit... Li-Ion cells are made with a stainless steel can (or a chemical resistant plastic pouch in the case of Li-Poly cells) because the electrolyte will corrode the steel cans that NiMh cells utilize.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:54 AM   #7

Thank you silver fox and other replies, well i wont change the various cameras i have then if there lions might go on a bit more than 3 years thank you for the information very interesting , Thinking of an DSLR to add to my final cameras and now im sure its gona be a UKPENTAX DL2 only £329 inc pentax kit lensright now atJessoppsUK ,inc postage, or the new antishake model this month and apart from it seems nicer to hold better kit lens than N /C ive looked at,The big + for me now is it uses( AA BATTERYS ) Ithink now that if you want to keep the camera for a real long time i dothat its better to buy an AA battery model of cameraa verybig + imo. thanks again .
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:21 AM   #8
rey

Interesting info. Here's what in wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion

For P&S I prefer cameras that uses AA batteries. For DSLR, there's not much option, but there's usually battery grips that takes AA batteries.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:01 PM   #9

rodo wrote:
Quote:
Thank you silver fox and other replies, well i wont change the various cameras i have then if there lions might go on a bit more than 3 years thank you for the information very interesting , Thinking of an DSLR to add to my final cameras and now im sure its gona be a UKPENTAX DL2 only £329 inc pentax kit lensright now atJessoppsUK ,inc postage, or the new antishake model this month and apart from it seems nicer to hold better kit lens than N /C ive looked at,The big + for me now is it uses ( AA BATTERYS ) Ithink now that if you want to keep the camera for a real long time i dothat its better to buy an AA battery model of cameraa verybig + imo. thanks again .

As someone who puts quality build and image-quality at the top of the list, I wouldn'tchoose a camera based on the type of battery it uses. In the unlikely event I can't get a new battery for it, I'll deal with that at the time. No use worrying about it now -- life's too short -- get out and use your camera!
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote