Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2006, 5:58 PM   #1

i posted this in the panasonic forum but thought i'd go ahead and post it here too hope thats not a problem

In november my camera just stopped working! My lens does not come out it turns on but no lens moves at all! It will say please remove shutter cap and push button... what could be wrong with it i had a friend look at it that works on camera's and he said he couldn't find anything that was wrong with it! has anyone that has thise camera had this problem! i really want it fixed i went and bought me a sony for the time being and i want my panasonic back!!! im desperate to get it fixed! it anyone can help i'd appreciate it!

heatherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:52 PM   #2

I want to buy a new digital and after looking at probably hundreds of different ones online, I settled on this. I actually saw it at Wal-Mart where I was browsing the cameras (because I'd like to pick up and feel the camera instead of just going by what it looks like online) and I really liked how small and light weight it was. I came home and did some research online about it and while CNET gave it only a 6.6, I am still considering it.

Many are saying that the problem with it is image quality and that there is a lot of "noise" at the higher ISO's. On the digital I have now, I have taken pictures with the low and high ISO's (the highest being 400) and honestly see no difference whatsoever. Perhaps that's because I'm not interested in big pictures. Does size matter? With what I have now, I always keep it on the smallest size anyway just because I don't like huge photos. So I'm wondering if I personally will have issues with image quality if I only plan on taking regular sized pictures.

I love everything else about the camera, including the zoom, the video with sound, and the fact that it takes black n' white pictures. I don't really know what is and isn't a good shutter speed so I have no idea if that's any good. However, the digital I have now was under $100 and the battery life is horrendous, so as you can imagine, anything that I get is probably going to seem extremely impressive to me, lol. I don't know much about digitals, but I have no problem getting something a little complicated and playing around with it. That's actually fun to me.

I originally wasn't too keen on the kind of battery it takes (I originally wanted something that took AA's) but apparently it comes with a battery (and a charger) so that's good.

If anyone has this, please let me know what you think of it. I was originally looking at Canon's Powershot A700 but gosh darn it, Wal-Mart just had to have the Panasonic one sitting right out there for me to see, lol.
maggithemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 7:45 PM   #3

You will find many tz1 (also called the tizzy) users at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:36 AM   #4

As I remember, your FZ5 has the lens retracted but asks you to remove the lens cap upon startup. The reverse, lens extended but doesn't retract, has been known to occur when dropped and has had success by applying pressure inward to get the gear back on its track.:-)

If you've tried applying some pressure to extend the lens upon start up without success, you'll probably need to have it sent in the the Pany repair facility...:sad:
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:41 PM   #5

Thats what im thinking! do i need to call them or just send it in! I might just go to our camera place here and see if they can fix it~!

heatherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:30 PM   #6

Use the following and call...

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...?storeId=15001
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:10 PM   #7

Maggi, I have posted some opinions on another thread here, which may interest you.

Tht canon A700 looks a good cam and appears to be well received.

I can't comment about shooting smaller files as I have always use best quality modes on any cam that i have used.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote