Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Administrator

The software you used for downsizing probably removed it. What did you use for an image editor?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:43 AM   #12

Just like JimC said, the software you use for resizing your photos probably deleted it.

Use http://www.irfanview.com/to resize your images. It won't strip the EXIF data unless you choose to. It's also free. Be sure you use "resize/resample" your photos for best results.

Hope this helps.

Old Jim
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:51 AM   #13
Administrator

Irfanview is also what I use for resizing.

If you're using Photoshop, don't use the save for web feature (it strips out the EXIF).

Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:13 PM   #14

I've been using Photoshop Elements for resizing and a final sharpening. I went back and checked some really old photos, and they do have the exif data. Guess I'll try irfanview...
Thanx,
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:18 PM   #15
Administrator

Don't use Save for Web and it should retain the EXIF. I don't use Elements, but that's the way Photoshop works.

Use Save As instead of Save for Web and see if the EXIF is still there. It not (and Elements probably retains it as long as you don't use Save for Web), use another product like Irfanview for resizing (which is what I always use for resizing, even though I've got PS and other products).

The idea behind Save for Web is to make the file sizes smaller, and the EXIF takes up a little bit of space. So, by removing it, webmasters posting a lot of images on web pages allow faster page loading (and lower bandwidth requirements) than would be possible if the EXIF was retained. It's not a lot of difference. But, when you've got a lot of images (and are paying for bandwidth usage), every little bit helps when designing web pages.