Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:44 PM   #11

Mystery Bob wrote:
Quote:
Thanks amazingthailand, it's easy math for me now. My plan was to travel to Bangkok sometime during the next year. Will lack of speaking Thai be a problem (I'm studying with a DVD but a slow language learner)?
It depends on where you want to go. But basically, if you stick to the 'tourist zone' then no, as english is fairly widely spoken and understood. Actually, we call it Thailish (Thai & English). Not 'pure' english, but good enough to be understood some/most of the time. In places like Bangkok, Chang Mai, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Puket, etc - no problem. If you venture off the beaten tourist path into the hills and countryside, then all bets are off. You could meet someone who speaks perfect englist, but most likely will just meet country people who don't understand a word of english. But VERY friendly people.

Either way, a little study before hand will definately help. Concentrate on simple phrases (How much?) and numbers (for prices, dates and street numbers).

I too am not a good learner of languages, but have managed to pick up a small vocabulary that gets me by. Like you, I have a variety of computer programs for studying Thai, including Rosetta Stone.

In Thailand you can get great computer maps of Bangkok, Pattaya, Thailand, Chang Mai and other locations. It's called Map Magic. The maps are great and really cheap (~300 baht [$8], if I recall).

Here are some links you might find useful:
www.thinknet.co.th The Maps, the site may be mostly Thai

www.learn-thai.com A good Thai language trainer.

Hope that helps.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:00 PM   #12

Thank you very much Amazing.... The links are in my computer favorites and I'm getting amped up just getting ready. Perhaps later when I have a ticket, I can buy you a beer (or tea).

Oh, btw, what are the computer options for internet? Any wireless?

Mystery Bob
Mystery Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:28 AM   #13

A nice cold beer sounds great (it's VERY hot in Thailand).

Internet - lots of internet cafes, most have a form of DSL. Dialup is also available, not so sure about wireless. I suspect it would be quite limited. Thailand really only got widely available broadband about two years ago, and that's only in major cities, but it is expanding, slowly.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 4:57 PM   #14

I'm thinking that the big cities in addition to dsl will also support my lack of speaking Thai much better. Thanks for the information and the reminder that it's hot there. I have been spoiled a bit by Maui's tradewinds and upcountry coolness.
Mystery Bob is offline   Reply With Quote