Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:58 PM   #1

When I am using CS2, my favorite adjustment (or most comon adjustment) is cropping and using curves. I seem to always lighten the picture. It isn't always alot , but almost everyone gets it...

I noticed recently that I am seeing alot of noise (or what I think is noise) in my work. I use an F828, iso 64 usually, and always a jpeg... any ideas? it wasn't always there, made me wonder if the lense was deteriorating (there has been over 8000) shots it)

any ideas...
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:46 AM   #2
E.T

If you lighten image that will always increase noise because it just multiplies colour values which increases small random deviations in values. (that's what noise is) This is most significant in darker areas where real signal is lower so relatively there's more deviation in values.

So try to get better exposures to start, that why there's histogram in camera. Also camera might do little heavy sharpening (common in Sonys) so try lowering it because too much sharpening will pick up any noise there is and amplify it greatly.

As for lens those don't deteriorate just from taking pictures... maybe except if you would take pictures of nuclear tests from too close. :G
But damaging CCD would be possible if camera is kept too long pointed to sun or other similar light source.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:46 AM   #3

Thanks E.T. After posting, I thought about it more and more, and realized how silly my question sounded... I believe I hadan nd filter on as well, because I was takin some other pictures in the area with it on (don't remember the order of when I had the filter on or not) but it makes sense. And then I didn't notice the noise until I sharpened it..... then was like .BAM...

I knew better.... thanks for the advice!
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote