Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 11, 2003, 3:30 PM   #1

Default What is the smallest good quality film camera out there?

Just wondering what the smallest decent quality film camera out there is. So far the smallest and most decent one I've found is the Casio Elph 370Z. I'm looking for something that is compact yet has a zoom/flash that produces a decent picture.
I was thinking of purchasing an Pentax OptioS camera but I'm afraid the 8x10 photos wont turn out as good as a regular film camera? Any help is appreciated ...thank you!
Disastrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2003, 5:34 PM   #2

Default Tough Question

Look at the Leica C-3 or the simpler lens Leica Minilux that has many control settings. Neither are real small but will fit in a shirt pocket and take great photos. The Minilux fixed lens is very well respected.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 12:30 AM   #3

Depends of what you have to spend , Rollei Prego 30 , Leica Minilux, Tessina is the smallest but expensive.
Jorge
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:13 PM   #4

Check out the Rollei afm35. It's small, extremely well-built, and easy to use. Wonderful lens. And it's a real value: easily the cheapest of the posh cameras out there. They run about $300. I love shooting with it. The flash is a bit hard. But everything else is first rate - even the carrying case is first-class. Most camera shops don't carry it so they're likely to not recommend it or categorize it as a boutique camera. It's not. Rollei is a German manufacturer and has made good cameras for a very long time. Go to an online merchant, someone like Adorama.com or B&H. A good place to check prices is pricegrabber.com.
macroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:39 PM   #5

I carried an Oly Stylus 80 (38-80 zoom) for a couple of years. I switched to a Konica Lexio 70 with a 28-70 zoom. The 28mm wide angle transformed my pocket photography. I could get interiors, group shots in limited quarters and outdoor scenes that were impossible with the Oly. The lighted LCD was also bigger, better designed and much easier to use.

The biggest shortcoming of both the small cameras was the lack of spot metering. Oly makes one with spot metering that is just a little bigger than the Stylus 80. I would personally take the tiny size and 28mm over the spot meter, but the feature was sorely missed in a P&S camera.

I found the image quality of both to be quite good. Maybe not on the level of the cameras that have already been mentioned, and they certainly don't have the controls.

This is the best price I see:
http://www.tristatecamera.com/LookAt...tore.php3.html

The Optio S will produce a decent 8 X 10. Online prices show the S4 almost as cheap from reliable sellers. It will do great 8 X 10s.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 2:36 PM   #6

Isn't this a digital camera site?

Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:33 PM   #7

Red Viper wrote:
Quote:
Isn't this a digital camera site?

Call your lawyer. This could be grounds for a class action suit. Disastrous and I would be exempt of course since we mentioned the Optio S.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote