Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:34 PM   #1

I read here that this camera should be able to shoot at 2000FPS. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sd500.html

I cannot see how this is possible unless the camera decides to do it on its own. There is no SPORTS mode in mine. I bought the camera when it first came out! Maybe there was a firmware upgrade.

Basically, there is no way in Manual Mode that I can see to FORCE the camera to shoot at a certain FPS.

Am I missing something?

Steve

shulaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:03 PM   #2

2000fps ??

Sorry what do you mean by that ?

The camera does have a continuous shooting mode (in other cameras known as burst mode), see page 75 of the pdf manual.

I do see the review mentions a shutter speed of 1/2000s , is that what you are referring to ?

Apart from long shutter modethere is no way to set the shutter speed yourself, I suppose you could raise theISO to force a faster shutter speed , though that would increase noise.

Perhapsthe child and pets setting wouldbe the only otherscene mode to offer faster shutter speeds?

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:45 PM   #3

What do you mean?

I want to be able to select what frame rate the camera will shoot in...(it is THAT simple) and I want to select15 seconds or 2000th of a second. WHERE do you select that? In manual mode I do NOT see the ability to control shutter speed, only stupid pictures for pets and Kids. My other Canon allowed me to actually select the shutter speed.
shulaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:11 PM   #4

Frame rate refers to movies as in 640x480 at 30fps

FPS can also apply to continuous burst mode as in the camera can take 2 frames per sec.

1/2000 -- 15 secs is the fastest and slowest shutter speed on the camera.

You can set the long shutter speed iirc from 1sec to 15sec (manual page 97)

Other than that, your camera does not have manual shutter speed controls, so you can play around with ISO or scene modes, but apart from that, you can not set the shutter manually.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:23 PM   #5
Administrator

The SD500's Manual exposure mode is like Auto in that the camera selects both the shutter speed and aperture for a correct exposure, but you do have access tothe Function and Menu options and color effects. There is no shutter speed priority mode that allows you to select a given shutter speed, sorry.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote